Sunday, May 27, 2012

A post in which I am kind of worried

I was up early as usual, ate some breakfast, and waited for the boys to get in touch.  They did, and told me they were coming.  Then cancelled because Russ was not feeling well enough to go.  I was disappointed, but not terrifically concerned.  I told them to let me know about dinner later, and went ahead to the Jockey Lot on my own. 

It was hotter than yesterday, although the weather was gorgeous, but again I got really too late a start to look for glass.  I found a Tupperware Velveeta keeper and picked that up.  They don't make these any more, and my loathing for Velveeta is legend, but they make great keepers for sleeves of saltines after you open them.  They are about the only thing that keeps the crackers from going stale.  The same seller had an Adam bowl priced pretty reasonably, but the center design was off-kilter.  Since it was a piece I had anyway, I left it.  Since I just got taken on a piece last week, I am leery. 

Tupperware Velveeta keeper

I did the rest of the outside, but it was getting hotter, and folks were packing up to go home.  I found an American Sweetheart cereal bowl at a pretty good price, most likely still there because it was paired with a bread plate that was chipped.  I thought about wandering around inside for a bit just for amusement, but my feet were wearing out and I had cooking to do.  I grabbed a watermelon for fruit next week and decided to head on to the house. 

American Sweetheart 5 7/8" cereal bowl in pink by MacBeth-Evans Glass, circa 1930-1936

When I got back to the house I was tired, so I had a rest, and then got up and fixed lunch. After that it was time to clean up the kitchen and get started cooking vegetables. I snapped all the beans, then realized there were too many to do in one batch.  I've gotten this recipe right, and I'm not going to screw them up trying to overload the pot.  I put some away to cook tomorrow.  Snapping is the work anyway.  I also cut my squash an put it under the broiler.  That's on of my favorite summer recipes, stolen from a co-worked I worked with years ago.  Because I had so many, I did half with the usual olive oil, salt, and pepper; then did the other half with some teriyaki sauce I had in the fridge that needed to be used up.  Surprisingly, the plain ones turned out better.  Sometimes simple is best, and when you have fresh little squash like these, it's a shame to cover up the sweetness with a heavy sauce. 

Sadly, Trent had a melt-down today.  He is the younger guy I have been talking to online.  He was *way* too young for me anyway, and I know his past has damaged him.  So I was already pretty leery about the situation.  The surprising part was how quickly we went from potential dates to overt hostility.  He sent me a text today, and by the third text he sent, the gloves were off and he was just saying the nastiest thing he could think of.  It didn't upset me - our interaction was pretty peripheral, after all - but it was sad.  I hope that he is able to move past what has been done to him. 

I got in touch with the boys about supper, and they told me they were taking Russ to the Emergency Room!  Apparently his dizziness had gotten worse, and they decided to take him on in.  I went ahead and got cleaned up in case I was needed.  I futzed around the house afterwards, and vegged in front of the television.  I wanted to go over, but Billy said they didn't need me.  They refused my offer to bring in supper.  I was walking the line here between wanting to be supportive, but not wanting to push myself into the situation.  Frankly, having been through it myself, I also knew what the emergency room would be like on a holiday weekend. 

I stayed in touch, and when they told me that he was being kept over-night for observation, and that an MRI was scheduled for the morning, I let the Kindred know what was going on.  They hadn't told me to do this, but I remembered Rhonda and I having a talk about this when I was in the ER, and since there was a possibility that Russ has had a stroke I thought the family needed to know.  It was a troubling evening.

No comments: