Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A post in which I visit the 'rents

I hit the ground running today at work and got all caught up.  The CFO is in town this week, and I'm trying to get all my big write-offs done so that he can sign them before he leaves.  Unfortunately I was having to request some of the paperwork I needed and it didn't come back today.

The doctor's office called today.  My blood work was back from my check-up last week, and Debbie (my nurse) reported that my cholesterol was 'extremely elevated'.  The doctor immediately put me back on Lipitor and called in a new prescription.  I'm worried about the elevated cancer risk from statins, but I guess it won't matter if I drop dead from a heart attack or stroke first.  Sigh.  I hope they'll send me the numbers.  I'm curious to see how high they actually are.  At least my blood sugar is still good.  No type II diabetes.  Yet. 

I couldn't work late today.  In light of the recent call from Dad I figured it was pretty important that I keep our weekly dinner date this week.  Plus if Dad had me to vent to it might save Lisa from dealing with some of the crazy.

Since Dad still isn't in any shape to go out, Eve cooked dinner.  We had enchiladas, frijoles refritos (baked with cheese yet), spanish rice, and salad with all the trimmings.  Eve announced that for extra flavor, she had added a layer of cream cheese to the enchiladas.  I cast a covert glance around the room at all of us in our rotundity and thought, really - REALLY?  But they were delicious.  We all ate until we pretty much couldn't move. 

Unfortunately, Dad was the least motile of any of us.  He was supposed to do physical therapy exercises, but I noticed the he conspicuously made no mention of doing them.  On the one hand I felt that I should say something; but on the other hand he is a grown man, and I'm trying to pick my battles.  He's home with Eve 24/7 right now, and I know she's after him to do his exercises.  I decided he has enough follow-up on that.

Of course after supper, she had to leave for an 'errand'.  Pretty much as soon as she left the house, Dad up-ended a big ole cart o' fresh Lisa-crazy on me.  He's spinning entire trellises of worry out of things that really have the barest tippy-root in reality at this point.  My efforts to explain some of this away were just met with that condescending Dad-smile.  It's that 'oh-you-poor-naive-so-and-so' expression which seems to say that I just don't understand these things as well as he does.  I told him that I hated to see him put himself through all of that, but he seems determined to do so.  I also told him I was glad Lisa was getting away.  She's been so paranoid about leaving Ava with her father for the weekend that it's encouraging to me that she feels comfortable enough to go away and take some time for herself.  He did tentatively agree with that, anyway.  Of course if anything happens while she's gone I'll never hear the end of the gloating; but I really don't expect there to be a problem. 

By this time Eve was back.  We talked for a bit, but it was time to go home, and I was tired.  I took my bonus plate of Mexican food and went on home.  I'll have a lovely supper again for tomorrow night...

No comments: