Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A post in which it is a very long day

I had my follow-up PET scan today, so I decided just to go in to work afterwards.  I could have slept in a bit, but I didn't sleep well, and was up at about the usual time.  I futzed around the house for a bit before heading over for the test.

The test seemed to take an infernally long time today, but then I was hungry and impatient for it to be over, so that may have just been perception.  When I finally got out (after being there for about three freakin' hours) I headed over to Liberty Tap Room for lunch, which has turned into kind of a tradition after tests now.  I was pretty pissed to find that they had removed their gorgeous blue cheese cole slaw from the bill of fare - that was one of the main reasons I went over there.  But I had she-crab soup and a delicious Caesar salad, along with one of the best pieces of salmon I had eaten in years, so it was a capital lunch anyway. 

I went on in to the office, did my calls, and checked in two more new placements (8 so far this month).  I exchanged texts with Eve about Dad, who had his first hip replacement today.  They had him up and around, and the surgeon said the procedure went very well, so that was good anyway.

When I got off work I ran by Zaxby's to pick up dinner for us and wrestle it up to the room.  Dad was sleeping, and I thought it was best to let him do so.   Judy came by to see him and visited for a bit while Eve and I ate supper.  Then Eve went home to change (she had been there since 9am) while I sat with Dad, who slumbered on.

A nurse came through to check on him, but decided to let him sleep also.  As she was leaving, another friend of his, Steve, came in.  I took him out in the hall and gave him a run-down on Dad, after which he went on.  About the time Jim came by from the shop, the nurses entered in earnest. 

They woke Dad up, took his vitals, and did other assessments, while Jim visited and Eve came back.  I stayed for a while after the nurses and Jim left, and gave them some quick highlights of my trip; but I knew that Dad wouldn't sleep while I was there, plus I was wiped.

I went home and collapsed onto the sofa, making the poor decision to log on to the computer.  About two hours later I finally logged off and went to bed.  It's the blessing and the curse of the internet.  I enjoy chatting with the guys, but between the conversation and my dis-inclination to move in the evenings, it is a major time waster.  I suppose there are worse faults.

No comments: