Saturday, May 19, 2012

A post in which we go flea marketing

And really, is there any better way to spend the day??  I freakin love the flea market, and there are two good ones in Columbia. 

After a somewhat slow start (Cole is not a morning person, and we were in no really huge hurry) we headed out.  First on the agenda was breakfast.  Since things had been so slow at dinner last night (and because we were headed in the opposite direction) today we headed for the Lizard's Thicket, a little meat and three chain.  There are several in Columbia, and the food is reasonable, affordable, and accessible.  It's country southern food.  Mom and I eat breakfast there a good bit when I'm down there.  They have the added benefit of having salmon patties on the menu for breakfast, which makes a nice change for me.  They're pretty decent, too. 

So after a capital breakfast, it was off to the Barnyard.  The Barnyard flea markets are nice.  They are all paved and stuff.  The one in Columbia is a good place to find glass.  I was also looking for vases to complete my Thank You's at work.  I scored both almost immediately.  I found a set of Queen Mary candlesticks for $2.  They were crystal, but I already have one set.  One of those, coincidentally, I also found in Columbia.  These were in great shape, and I snapped them up. 

Queen Mary candlesticks in crystal by Anchor Hocking, circa 1936-1949

We did the rest of the place, but we had gotten started really too late for glass. We found lots of things to look at though, and were treated to a small concert from a redneck girl strumming discordantly on a toy guitar and mumbling some phrase over and over again in an unintelligible falsetto.  I was amused, but Cole, my musical nephew, who can reportedly actually play guitar (we base this on myth and legend, since he refuses to play in front of anyone) was pretty horrificated.

The big find of the day was a picture for Mom's living room.  She has been living in her patio home for five years now, and there has never been an picture on the huge blank wall behind her sofa, which has made me a little bit nuts.  But I found a picture this morning of sunset on a marsh that she liked.  It was nicely framed and was a good price also.  She bought it.  I was thrilled.  It wasn't what I would have picked out for my house, but it was tasteful, she liked it, and it suited the room. 

From there it was on to the much junkier and more poorly laid-out, but to me equally compelling US #1 Metro flea market. By this point it was getting too late in day for flea marketing though, and we were there mainly for amusement.  I did spot one Carnival Glass platter, but it was snatched up seconds after I spotted it.  That was fine with me.  I don't buy Carnival Glass because it's too fussy. 

After all that activity, Mom and I were tuckered, and Cole had to get to work, so we headed back to the homestead.  I made some lunch, Mom had a nibble, and we saw Cole off to work.  Then we both took naps.  We were both tired, and it was a weekend we were going to enjoy.  It's kind of convenient and frustrating both that I now deteriorate at the same rate as my 65-year-old mother.

With a nap and a shower though, I felt like a new man.  Pity there wasn't one to be found.  We went to my favorite antique store in Columbia for a rummage 'round before dinner.  I am looking for a small lamp for my living room.  I found a charming little ginger jar lamp, but couldn't make up my mind about it.  Those are out, but not out enough to be cool.  In the end, I didn't get it.  I did get another vase though, and a Christmas present for Justin.  Since I had scored at the flea market this morning, I wasn't horribly disappointed. 

We closed down the antique store (and were able to confirm that contrary to unsubstantiated hot n' juicy gossip, they were not closing immediately as we had heard) and then headed for dinner.  We went to Harbor Inn Seafood in Lexington.  My food was good, and Mom was tickled with hers.  I have to say I tried one of her crab legs, and it was the best one I have ever eaten.  (I don't have a lot of patience with them because they're so much work, so I don't usually eat them.)  The waitress was very nice too, and most attentive.  It's not a fancy place, but sometimes you don't need fancy, right?  Plus Mom didn't want to make me buy her a hugely expensive meal. I was taking her out for Mother's Day since I didn't see her last weekend.

We left there and headed for Target to do some Christmas shopping.  Mom and I always go off shopping together for Christmas, but had to forgo this past year because of treatment.  Mom wanted some patio chairs, and I wanted a jacket they had on clearance.  Unfortunately, they didn't have my size in the jacket, and they were sold out of the chairs Mom wanted because they had been on sale.  I did find some pillow covers (I'd been meaning to pick some up since I got new pillows, but kept forgetting) that were on clearance, and a new big frying pan with healthy non-stick coating.  Mom got me that for Christmas.  I knew I needed to give up my old Teflon pan, but I loved it so much I didn't want to give it up, so this was a very happy find for yours truly.  I got Mom some curtain rods for her living room.  They weren't terribly expensive, but she wouldn't take anything else.  I'll have to find something to send her or something. 

By the time we did all that, it was after 9pm, and we were both tired again.  Our tummies were full, and we were ready to head home.  We visited for a while, and then turned in.  It had been a lovely day.  I really enjoy spending time with my mama.

No comments: