Thursday, May 10, 2012

A post in which I am crawling towards the weekend

Fortunately I didn't have to be up at the butt-crack of dawn this morning.  Unfortunately it was another morning on which I had a doctor's appointment for which I had to fast.  The medical community seems to be conspiring to deprive me of my breakfast, which makes me testy.

I did get up in time to change the sheets, clean the cat food dispenser I use for trips, and put the shower curtain in to soak before I left for the doctor.

Today I saw the GP.  It was my usual six-month check-in for blood pressure, etc, although I had moved it to eight months because I just couldn't be bothered to go to bear the thoughts of yet another doctor's appointment at the end of treatment.  I had to man up today.  I knew I needed to go.  There were no huge surprises, other than that my doctor was in a notably good mood.  We talked about post-treatment complications, and they checked my blood pressure, which is still great on my old dosage of bp meds.  Sadly, but not surprisingly, I have gained another five pounds, which puts me five pounds above my pre-chemo weight.  Sigh.  The battle of the bulge continues.  It is discouraging.  As I left the hospital the Tuesday, I caught sight of myself in the reflection of the elevator door and realized how much I am starting to be built like Daddy.  Very discouraging.  I guess it's back on the diet.  Just not today.

To emphasize that point, after the appointment I stopped at the (oxymoronicallly named) new Stax's Original and had a capital breakfast.  They had a veggie eggs benedict on the menu that was quite good (although restaurants never get the hollandaise lemon-y enough for me) and came with potatoes so tasty that I didn't even put ketchup on them.  The Greeks just seem to have a way with taters - I love the ones from the Olympian too. 

As if in expiation I was a very good boy at work today.  I did all my follow-ups, did half my account reconciliations, and completed the write-offs on all my small accounts that I knew about the closings on so far.  When Alan got them back to me late in the day, I stayed afterward to scan and log them and turn them in for processing. 

I wasn't too late at work.  I had spoken to Eve today, who told me that Dad was doing well, and that after she told the RN about the glove incident last night they completely re-did Dad's dressing.  She also blessedly relayed that they did not need me to bring in dinner tonight.  Thus relieved of duty, I called Rhonda and went to pick her up.  When she sent the email this week, I figured we were OK, but we hadn't spoken since last week, which wasn't a great experience for either of us.  I gave her little beach searcys, and was most relieved to see her back to her usual sweet self tonight.  We even talked about the disagreement, and were both much more able to keep our cool and not fly off the handle tonight.  We enjoyed a pleasant meal at a local Chinese troughet for which she conveniently had a coupon.

After supper I dropped her by her place, spoke briefly to Tony, and headed home - I thought.  It occurred to me that it was Thrusday night, and that I hadn't sent my Mother's Day cards yet.  Damn and double damn.  If they were going to get there on time, I would have to not only do them tonight, but take them to the downtown post office.  Drat, drat, drat.  I called Mama.  I knew if I plead tired she would let me off the hook about having her card there on time (I'm going to see her next weekend), but she didn't answer her phone. 

Then I started thinking about how sorry it was that I didn't even want to go to the post office for the woman who carried me for nine months AND came up twice to go to chemo with me DESPITE how hard that was on her.  Southern Baptists are raised to self-inflict guilt, and despite my abandonment of most of the tenets, that one is pretty steadfast.  I went to the store.  I had to buy cleaning stuff anyway. 

I got home, threw the shower curtain in the washer, addressed my cards, and headed to the post office.  I drug myself back to the house, completed the night chores, and fell into bed too tired to even think about logging in to chat online.

No comments: