Friday, May 18, 2012

A post in which I go to Columbia

Today went pretty smoothly.  I got up early (not really by choice, but hey, I could use the time) and got my last-minute packing done.

At work I got my write-offs back and got the big ones turned in for approval.  When 5:30 came I had some issues getting home (traffic has been bad this week), but soon enough I got there, loaded the car, and headed out.  I didn't want to stop on the way as I usually do (the only places beyond Fountain Inn and before Columbia are gas stations, and one lone Subway - plus I didn't want to take the extra time) so I heated up some pizza pop tarts (which are indescribably delicious, but not terribly filling) and had those, along with some nuts I picked up at CVS.

I got to Columbia by 8pm, which is pretty fantastic time, and joined Mom and Cole at the Cracker Barrel, one of Mom's favorite places to eat.  Although the waiter wasn't the most gifted guy, he got my food out and there was no meat in it.  At the 'Crackie' (as Mom calls it), that's an accomplishment.  I had to go to the server's station to get Mom some tea, but we were otherwise unscathed.

After supper we headed back to Mom's house, where we continued catching up and making plans for tomorrow.  Mom's been working on her place since retirement.  I had a Roman shade up in the guest room, and a new comforter set.  She put a TV in there last year, and although it isn't listed on the remote I found a sleep timer buried in the menu options and was able to set it.  That was a bonus for me.  I sprawled out diagonally on the bed and went to sleep.  It had been a long day, but it promised to be a great weekend.

No comments: