Monday, May 28, 2012

A post in which things are OK*

I was up early this morning to finish cooking beans in case I got called to the hospital.  I started getting text messages first thing this morning about Russ.  I waited a decent interval before getting in touch with the boys, and was reassured.  Logan told me that it didn't look like a stroke, and they were just triple-checking to be sure.  He had the MRI early and they were waiting on results. 

Rhonda was back, and I asked if she wanted to have breakfast.  I had been pretty much relieved of friend duty, and on the one hand I felt vaguely guilty, but on the other hand I wasn't going to sit at the house the whole day waiting to be needed, especially since it didn't seem that I would be.  Ditto the hospital.   

I loaded the car up with some stuff that needed doing (to be sure I got something done today), and went to pick up Rhonda. 

Our first stop was Cracker Barrel.  Mom would have been proud.  I don't usually eat there, but Rhonda had a shirt from there she needed to return.  Despite the fact that there were 1.5million people in the parking lot, there wasn't a wait, so we killed two birds with one stone. 

After that we went to Frame Warehouse, where I at last dropped off my temple rubbing to have it re-framed.  The rubbing itself is really nice, and actually quite distinctive, but I hate the frame and matting it was in when I bought it.  After all these years, I'm finally going to have it re-done.  I love the Frame Warehouse.  Their work is always so beautiful.  They may not be the cheapest place, but I can count on them, they have a great selection, and I used to work with the woman that owns the place years ago.  I trust them, and they have done all my framing work for years.  After picking out a prodigiously expensive frame and paying my deposit, I left it in their capable hands. 

But I wasn't ready to go home yet.  Worse, I felt like spending money (God knows why - I don't have any).  But we went to Ross Dress for Less anyway.  I love that store, and I always find something cool there.  Today was no exception.  We weren't even in the door good before I found a glorious pair of Adias suede hi-tops.  Salmon color.  In my size.  For $22. (Did I mention that I freakin' LOVE Ross Dress for Less?)  I can scarcely wait to wear them in front of Logan.  I also bought a lamp shade that won't work on the lamp for which I intended it.  We found some more of the great mugs I bought for Rhonda!  I could scarcely believe it.  I had been in there to look for them specifically a couple of weeks ago, and nothing.  So we got those.  I also found some underwear (which I have really got to stop buying). 

Then to round off the trip we went over to the Dollar Tree, where fortunately that annoying guy from last time was nowhere to be seen.  I picked up some of those gourmet crackers that are just like the ones at the grocery store, only a third of the price.  I picked up a couple of other odds and ends, including some plates to take brownies to the Cancer Center on.  I figured for a dollar, I'd rather have those than some plastic thing.  No need to take vintage cake plates every time, right? 

I dropped Rhonda at her place and checked in with the boys.  Russ was supposed to be discharged today.  They suspect that he had an ear infection related to a stomach virus he's had.  The MRI, as expected, showed no signs of a stroke.

I dropped off the recycling and ran by the grocery store.  I got home with the feeling of having accomplished much, despite all that remains to be done.

I had a little lie-down and a late lunch.  When I woke up I had a text from a guy I'd been talking to online who was coming to town on business, so I cleaned up and went to see him for a bit.  He was really nice. 

Afterwards I ran by Outback for a couple of their delicious blue cheese pecan chop salads.  They are a side item, but telish and meat-free.  It was an indulgence, but I wanted them, and thought ten more dollars today really wasn't that big of a deal.

By the time I ran by the store yet again, got home, ate supper, changed the sheets, and folded the laundry, it was time to turn in.  Which I did. 

No comments: