Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A post in which I do the Tuesday night thing

I spent a good bit of time today chatting with a new guy I met on Bear last night named Trent.  He's very cute, but he's also very young.  On the one hand, it makes me feel kinda creepy.  On the other, he's apparently had a very rough life, and it makes me want to be good to him. 

Since it's Tuesday night, it was dinner with Dad and Eve.  Dad is feeling better, and is out and about now.  They went to church Sunday and out to lunch afterwards.  I wanted Mexican, so we went to Don Pablo's, which was just fine with me.  I had some more of those gorgeous Cantina Nachos (900 calories - like I really need that right?).  My voice was going out tonight and Dad couldn't hear anything I said.

After supper as we headed back to the house Dad went into an endless story about replacing the stair-rail off the back porch.  Apparently Eve hadn't been happy with the one the builder left, and determined that it had to be replaced.  This involved two weeks of complaining, followed by a rogue trip to Home Depot to buy supplies for said project (which Dad hadn't sanctioned), followed by she and Judy being unable to complete the project, at which point Dad had to get involved and finish it.  This story was told with much frustration, bitterness, and sarcasm.  He would not be detered.  Eve was sitting right there in the car, and this story went on for most of the ride back from the restaurant.  I can understand why he was frustrated.  She can be quite an earful when she gets a bee in her bonnet - and they have been cooped up together in the house for weeks.  But geez.  Uncomfortable.  Every now and then, it's a bit like I've walked in to the screen in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and I don't know how to get out. 

Fortunately we were able to change the subject when we got to the house, and had a pretty good visit.  Towards the end though, I found out some more details about a family situation.  My cousin Mark has problems with drugs, which I knew.  I didn't know how bad things had gotten though.  I feel really bad for my uncle.  Things are pretty bad up there. 

On that sobering note, I took my leave and went home.

When I got to the house, I did the light bulb fandango with the new bulbs I bought tonight.  It's funny how things that didn't bother me during treatment have started bugging me now.   The bulbs in a couple of my ceiling fans and the bathroom light over the sink don't match.  So I started moving them around trying to fix that.  I also put a different bulb in the new lamp in the living room.  It's better, but I am still not convinced.

No comments: