Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A post in which I am once again on duty

I has a very full day on schedule today, but it ended up not being as bad as I thought it would be. 

I heard from Rhonda, so I guess she isn't still mad at me.  Her email sounded back to normal.  I was most relieved.

There was left-over pizza in the conference room today, so I had free pizza for lunch.

I had my employee review today and it went well.  Alan doesn't really do "glowing", but it was pretty damn close, and I got a raise.

That's about as good as a workday gets.

I got the call today from Eve, dispatching me to Don Pablo's to pick up supper.  So I ordered up some more of those gorgeous Cantina Nachos (reflecting that since they are checking my cholesterol tomorrow that probably wasn't the smartest thing to do - but then I was at the beach for four days, ate free pizza for lunch, etc; so the nachos would really be just like the cherry on top of the Sundae, right?).  I am still tired from the weekend, but since I went home last night and fell in to the internet vortex for two hours I really have only myself to blame.

When 5:30 came I jumped in the car and headed out.  I got to the restaurant with relative ease, getting there at 6pm on the dot.  Our order was ready, and the 'to go' guy had navigated all of the "special orders" "leave offs" and various customizations perfectly.  I was amazed, and back in the car in moments.  I used a back way to get to the hospital quickly, and we settled in to eat.

Dad seemed to be feeling much better today, and certainly sounded a lot more like himself. 

After supper, a LPN came in to change his dressing.  We were talking and I was watching her do it.  She ran out of  Tegaderm though, and had to leave the room to get another sheet of it.  She came back and was finishing up when I noticed that she hadn't re-gloved to finish dressing the wound.  That worries me.  She was also wearing two rings - rings are notorious harborers of bacteria.  Since Dad has already had post-surgical infections with other procedures, they should be being extra careful.  I mentioned it to Eve before I left.  She promptly set her mouth in a determined line.  "Thank you." she said.  I pity the LPN.  Kind of.

I left and went on home.  I'm not so much tired at this point as that I feel weary.  Not sure why.  I guess it's being on the go so much, and post-trip let-down.  For some reason, I feel lonelier now than I did before.  I don't know why that would be now.  Maybe because I saw Sean and Eddie together.  Maybe it was because I enjoyed staying with RBL so much this past weekend.  Whatever the reason, it has manifested itself in the near-pathological drive to chat online, which I did again tonight.  I wasn't on as long as last night though.  I reprimanded myself, signed off, and went to bed.

No comments: