Saturday, May 12, 2012

A post in which I am a jungle gym

I went to bed at a fairly reasonable hour last night, and it's a good thing.  I really had no idea how demanding today was going to be.

I woke up ready for some flea-marketing, so after the briefest of delays in the internet vortex I headed out.  It was overcast, and I decided it would be a good idea to get my veggies this morning.  It turned out to be a good call.  I got  a nice head of cauliflower, some pretty beans, a bag of thin-skinned white potatoes, four beautiful and perfectly ripe avocados, and some onions.  I also found a Depression Glass goblet (for only $2 - yay me) and five saucers for my Bubble Glass, despite the lateness of the hour (I didn't get there until after 10am).  I figured I was too late for glass, but apparently Gracine's blood price had the market primed and ready for me. 

Colonial Block 5 3/4" water goblet in green by Hazel-Atlas, circa 1930-1935

I headed home and unloaded. I was lazy for a bit. But I had talked to Lisa this morning. She was going to be here between 1-2pm with my gorgeous darling baby niece Ava to celebrate Mother's Day, and to visit with Dad post-op. So I had to be ready for that. I got up and started getting ready. There were about 1,000 things that needed to be done around the house this weekend, and it wasn't looking good for getting any of them done.

I dutifully completed my toilette and loaded the recycling to drop that off (I figured Lisa would be late). I was waiting in line at the CVS when I got a call from Eve. Lisa was apparently running VERY late, and now had a projected ETA of 3pm. My location couldn't have been better to hear about the delay. CVS is always good to kill 30 minutes or so. Today was no exception. The woman in line in front of me had no idea what her doctor has prescribed, why he has prescribed it, what she was supposed to pick up, or whether or not she needed it. I eventually walked away from the counter and did a little shopping. I picked up a couple of things and approached the counter again, only to find that now there were three other people in line.

The man at the front now needed his ENTIRE. Freakin'. Medicare. Program. Explained. Right now. To complicate matters still further, they were training a new cashier (who was running the ONLY register open inside) who had to ask someone else how to breathe in and out. Literally, the smallest request was cause for yet another endless consultation. Oy. Eventually I just put down the stuff I had picked up, stifled my homicidal thoughts, and headed for the parking lot. I noticed there was no line at the drive-through window on my way out, so I went through there and finally actually got my freakin' refill that was ready for me. "Weren't you just at the counter?" The drive-through woman asked me. "Yes," I replied. "Ya'll really need to have a non-dumb ass line." She turned away so that I wouldn't see her laughing.

After that it was off to drop the recycling, which after the pharmacy was a picnic.  Then I went by Whole Foods to pick up some sodas (it is on the same side of town as Dad and Eve's, and I'd been meaning to get in there last week).  I also got Eve a small bouquet of Mother's Day flowers.  It takes so little to make her happy.

I got to the house about 2:30, and Lisa was there on the dot of 3:15.  I was ravenous for lunch.  Since Dad couldn't really go anywhere, Eve had decided to make lunch at the house.  I should have offered to bring in food or something, it being Mother's Day tomorrow, but I just really didn't want to push it.  I was so busy already, and Eve had assured me that making spaghetti was easier than going to get take-out anyway.  Plus, Lisa had initially announced that she would be there either today or tomorrow, which makes it virtully impossible to plan anything.  I was easy to convince.  I did get a bit impatient with Eve clucking about how difficult it was to make spaghetti sauce with no meat (really?  REALLY?), which was doubly ungracious of me.  I had a humongous lunch, and she packed up the rest of the sauce for me to take home - of course they weren't going to eat left-overs with no meat in them.  What. Ever.  It worked out great for me.

We had a good visit while Lisa talked to Dad and Eve, and I mostly played with Ava.  She climbed all over me and we wrestled in the floor, I tickled her, etc.  During the course of the afternoon I was a giraffe, a tickle monster, a teddy bear, and several other animals.  I didn't like being a teddy bear because they are apparently not allowed to talk.  She was frequently a kitten.  We just had a large time in general.

But by 6:30 or so, I was ready to head out.  I sent RBL a text and agreed to meet them downtown for supper at Overlook Grill.  They were downtown for Artisphere already (and had VIP passes yet - go figure).  They wanted to go to that restaurant because their friend Val is working there now.  Val owned a Brazilian restaurant that was Logan's favorite place to eat in Greenville (it has since closed), but which I had been underwhelmed with on my one and only visit.  But Val came out to see them and was very gracious to me as well.  She had a 'trust Val' option on her menu at the other place (it was kind of like a mystery special) which she has brought with her.  I ordered from the menu (a salad - I was still full from the enormous lunch I had eaten), but Logan had the 'trust Val', and wouldn't you know it, out came a gorgeous plate of nachos!  Now I love nachos better than a fat boy loves cake, and I ended up eating as much of Logan's dinner as he did, not to mention a good portion of my own.  But it was delicious, I must admit. 

After supper we wandered uptown through the closing artist's booths to get some ice cream.  I didn't really want it but was along for the stroll.  I was hoping that we'd go back to their place and hang out for a while, but they had a 'date night' (i.e. gratuitous amounts of sex) planned.  We made plans to go to the flea market in the morning, and I went on home.  I was too full to be good company anyway.

No comments: