Saturday, May 26, 2012

A post in which I get the weekend started

Actually, quite well as it turned out.  I went by and picked up Cole to take him to the flea market this morning.  I wanted to go to Anderson Jockey Lot after reading their Facebook posts about what a great weekend it was going to be, but there was some kind to traffic-geddon going on on 85 South, resulting in their shutting down the entire highway.  No idea what happened - we never got close enough to see.  As soon as an exit came up, I jumped off and we headed in the opposite direction, to Greer.  Barnyard is a great flea market, but it wasn't where I wanted to be today, and we were so delayed by traffic and the wait for Cole's toilette (he had breakfast with Dad and Eve, plus the investigation of buying tires, etc, before I got there, delaying his ritual - he is a teen-ager) that it was really too late for glass by the time we got there.  No worries, it was nice just to spend some time with Cole.  The flea market has kind of become our 'thing'.  It's nice that he wants to spend some time with me.  We bought some beautiful baby squash, and some nice green beans.  I've kind of turned into a green bean-aholic this year thanks to that new recipe, and there are so many things you can do with baby squash.

After the market I dropped Cole at the house and headed back to mine.  Khavis was coming to mow the grass, which was seriously in need of some attention.  I ate some lunch while he mowed, and found out that the boys actually didn't go out of town, due to Russ not feeling well.  While I was sorry that he didn't feel good, I was glad they didn't leave town for the weekend.  I made plans to have supper with them, and took a little nap.

When I got up it was time to get ready to go.  I did all my cat chores and my toilette and then headed their way.  We ended up going to Irashiai for dinner at my suggestion.  The last time we went there it was pretty so-so; plus were a little bit bitter because they had just gobbled up merged with our favorite sushi place, Miyako.  Tonight, it seems that they have had time to get their shit together.  The menu has been integrated.  Our food was excellent, and the service was good (particularly surprising for Irashiai, where the service has been consistently sub-par for some time now).  They had some new rolls on the menu that were delicious - Logan and I had the ASO Volcano, which was excellent.  I was really happy to see my favorite, the California Dreaming roll, not only on the menu, but very well done.  Now there wasn't a huge crowd tonight, which may have given them the breathing room to do better than usual, but we all agreed that if the food was going to be the way it was tonight we are adding the place back to our rotation.  We used to eat sushi regularly, and I have missed it.  We had a great meal tonight.  The only shadow on the evening was that Russ wasn't feeling well enough to eat much.

We went back to the house to watch The Cat Returns.  Logan is a fellow anime enthusiast (actually he is more hard-core than I am), and hadn't seen it.  I had bought my copy weeks ago at Barnyard, but hadn't opened it until we could watch it together.  I had forgotten what a charming movie it is, and we enjoyed it.  We also had ice cream cookie sandwiches - yummy!  We made plans to go to the flea market tomorrow.  Yay!

I left full of good food, friendship, and anticipating a good day tomorrow. 

No comments: