Monday, May 14, 2012

A post in which I am a culinary genius*

I felt yucky this morning.  I had a text from a buddy though, and he ended up coming over on his way to work.  That cheered me up a bit.

I had a bunch of stuff I needed to do still from the weekend, not the least of which was to cook all the lovely veggies I bought last weekend.  I haven't made a cauliflower souffle in a while, so I wasn't sure how it would come out.  I laid out my eggs and left for my doctor's appointment.

Things at the Cancer Center went well today.  I was expecting to get my walking papers today and finally have this all over, but they aren't done with me quite yet.  There was a small spot in my neck that the radiologist wasn't happy with in my PET scan.  The doctor isn't worried about it, and told me not to be, but he's scheduling another PET scan in a couple of months.  I was a little bummed about that, but employed my Southern Power of Denial and placed it firmly under the bed of my mind.  I went back to see my chemo nurse, and one of the women who was in treatment at the same time was there. We had gotten in the habit of talking to each other when we were there.  I almost didn't recognize her because she had shed her wig.  Her hair is growing back as well.  She came to my last treatment and brought me a bottle of champagne - it was the sweetest thing, and I had no idea how to get in touch with her.  I was very glad to visit with her for a bit and be able to thank her for her kindness.  She's almost done, and she and her husband are planning a surprise trip to Disney World for their children.  I'm so glad for her.

After that I made a quick detour through the supermarket, went home, and started cooking.  My souffle came out beautifully.  I also tried a new potato recipe.  I found a recipe for smother-fried potatoes years ago, and have had fun doing variations on it ever since.  Today I made buffalo potatoes, cooked in beer, hot wing sauce, heart-healthy margarine, onions, and garlic.  They came out really great.  I'm thinking next time maybe I'll sautee some celery to mix in, and maybe sprinkle with blue cheese when they finish cooking...

I snapped and cooked my beans.  That Ponzu sauce really makes them delicious. 

Dad called me tonight.  Apparently his convalescence has kind of put him in a hot house o' crazy.  He's all worried about Lisa going to the beach this weekend.  I tried to talk him down some, but he seems fairly committed to this pack of manufactured worries.  A son can only do so much.

By the time I had done all that, eaten dinner, cleaned up the kitchen, and pulled yet another load of laundry out, it was way time for bed.  I turned on the Golden Girls marathon and turned in.

No comments: