Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A post in which it is departure day!

I was up at 4am this morning, too excited to go back to sleep.  It was probably just as well since I had 8,000 chores to do before I could leave the house. 

I finished packing, loaded the car with everything, did all the cat chores, took out the garbage, did regular work morning stuff, and still made it to work on time.

Logan and I sent texts back and forth today.  We were both so excited about the trip!  He told me that he, Russ, and Billy had packed in only one bag each!  A miracle!  Later on, though, things started being added, and it ended up that they took almost a truck full, even without taking the barber shop this year.  Still, there was room in the back for my backpack and a cooler, in addition to my clothes bag, so I had more room than last year.  I had packed enough stuff that I should be able to perform an emergency appendectomy with no problem.

I did something today that I haven't done in years - I left without putting the baby to bed.  My presentation wasn't done when I left the office.  But Carla was hired to do it now, and she had all the instructions to finish it up.  I checked in with Alan before I left. 

I actually left work on time and headed to Rhonda's to pick her up.  She was going to house-sit for Russ, Billy, and Logan while we were gone.  That's where things got a bit dicey.  I'd gotten a call about Rhonda yesterday.  Love her to absolute death, but even the most casual passing mention of race just pushes her crazy button.  Some of our friends have been offended by her militancy and had approached me to see if I could think of any way to try to curb some of this. I really didn't have the time to do it tonight, but I tried anyway.  It was a bad  idea.  We had the first real disagreement we have ever had.  I felt terrible.  I had thought if anyone could talk to her about this with some measure of reason it would be me, but I was wrong.  We both apologized, and she told me she still loved me, but I still felt awful when we hit the road.  If there is one person in the whole wide world I don't want upset with me, it's Rhonda.  I did call her from the truck to apologize again, and she told me to lay it down and enjoy the trip.  After a while I decided to do that.  I can't think of any way to improve the situation.  It was a helluva bummer way to start a vacation, and I have only myself to blame.

We stopped in Columbia for dinner at Chipotle.  We've eaten there before because it's one of Logan's favorites, but the first time I wasn't terrifically impressed.  Tonight I ordered better, and with the help of a particular employees heavy hand with the toppings, I have to say I had an excellent meal that wasn't too terribly bad for me. 

It is a l-o-o-o-n-g ride to the beach.  About 4 hours.  I know that isn't much for a lot of people, but it is for me.  Plus I had been up early and worked all day.  My hips were hurting and I took a pill when we stopped. 

I was very glad to get to the hotel.  I didn't have a room for tonight, so RBL said I could stay in their room.  They had a suite.  What a GREAT room we had!!  Last year it was just one room with two beds, so we were on top of each other and there was stuff everywhere.  This year I had my own bedroom and bathroom, there was a living room, and a complete kitchen with a fridge that actually worked (unlike last year).  It was a huge difference, and we were mightily pleased.

I was happily putting things away (we had stopped at the Wal-Mart on the way in for snacks) when the shelf in the freezer fell off, dumping my bottle of whipped cream vodka in the floor, where it shattered into smithereenies.  I could have cried.  I didn't even get to taste it.  Plus there was a huge mess and broken glass.  RBL stepped right in and did most of the clean-up.  They are such great guys.

After that little adventure I finished unpacking and we went downstairs for a little bit.  But things were winding down, and I was tired.  We turned in at a fairly reasonable hour for an event.  There are three complete days of mayhem ahead!

No comments: