Sunday, October 31, 2010

A post in which it is the day after

I had to be up at some point today. Cole was in town for the weekend, and I wanted to see him. I had told Dad and Eve I would take him to the flea market this morning, but good boy that he is, he decided he should go to church. I would have loved to see him, but I was rather grateful for the change in plans when I woke up. I got up, cleaned up, and ironed a shirt. The revised plan was that we would go to brunch. Since we were going some place nice, and they were coming from church, I didn't want to embarrass them.

It turns out I needn't have bothered. They over-slept and ended up missing church. Eve, who has lectured me on appropriate clothes for most of my life, was wearing a fancy sweatsuit. The brunch was nice. I didn't get to spend much time with Cole though. The service was slow, and he had to be home, plus he and Dad were going to get some driving practice in today. But I was pretty wiped, and needed to lay down for a while. On the way back, AI heard about their adventures in car shopping. Dad is doing his best to buy the boy a car, but he's so shy he won't tell Dad what he wants, or pick one out. Sigh. I gotta have a talk with that boy.

I was glad to have some time to lie down. I wasn't hung over, but I was feeling pretty drug out. A short nap put me pretty much to rights though.

The plans for tonight had changed several times during the course of the weekend. I told Nicole that I would spend the evening with her, thinking I would just take her to Spartanburg with me. Then I was told that Amanda was having a party tonight. I love Amanda, and I like her house and all, but she is really far out. Her house is a good hour from mine, and 6:30 comes early on Monday morning. Plus I wasn't in stellar shape from last night really. Billy is still in the show tonight, and Russ said he wouldn't be able to make it up. With all that combined, I just decided to stay in town tonight. I took Nicole over to Russ's and we went out for pizza buffet.

But Russ and Billy have a friend staying with them at the moment. It's a long and complicated story, but he's having electro-shock treatments. He's a nice enough guy, but he's straight. And odd. He ended up going out to supper with us. Nicole apparently felt comfortable with Russ, and I was glad about that. I was less thrilled when she went out to smoke with Russ and left me at the table alone with the Guest. While he was making sexual comments about the waitresses disturbingly muttered under his breath. It was kiiiinda creepy.

But we got back to the house, he went on to bed, and we spent the rest of the evening relaxing and visiting on my favorite back porch. Lovely. It was just over too soon.

No comments: