Saturday, October 9, 2010

A post in which it is Fall for Greenville

I was lying around the house with more than my usual sense of entitlement to be lazy for a bit when dana called and told me to get ready to go to Fall for Greenville today. I haven't been in years because of the crowds and over-priced food, but it is fun when you're with friends.

I was lying on the sofa being lazy (yeah, act surprised) when dana called me to tell me they were leaving shortly for my place. It was about 11am. I had eaten some breakfast, and was surprised to hear from them so early, but I was game. I ran through the shower and was mostly ready when they got here.

As we were discussing leaving, I told Miss Kat that it was actually a good day for me to go to this, because I was in the mood to eat. Fall for Greenville is basically a fair where the rides are food. All the restaurants set up booths and sell little over-priced smackrels of their best stuff in the hopes of luring new customers.

dana then told me that she had just made a huge breakfast. It never crossed my mind that they didn't know the nature of the event. Since I didn't think this was gonna be dana's kind of thing anyway, I wondered how long we would last. But onward and upward.

We set off in Charlie's car. Charlie is a friend of dana's. He's a really nice guy, but he's a bit loud. Underneath it all he's a very sweet man, but sometimes he covers that up rather vociferously. So we're walking through an increasingly crowded throng of clueless straight Greenvillians (some of them with children) while Charlie discusses, at volume, sexual escapades that one would hesitate to request from a professional. We got some interesting looks.

dana got the first and last thing she would eat that day. She's a pretty finicky eater, and a beef sandwich dipped in au jus did her in. It was soggy, and she was done. I, you will be completely unsurprised to learn, was having no problem finding something to nosh. I actually got Charlie to try a samosa, which surprised me. They would have been better if they hadn't been prepared in advance, but I can understand not wanting to lug a deep fryer downtown.

We were about done and heading back towards the car when Charlie tripped over one of the enormous SUV-like stroller some yuppie had parked in the middle of the street. They got into it, and he was yelling stuff at her half-way up the block. She had been rude, but I just soothed him as best I could while I shepherded him away as quickly as possible.

We got back to my place and visited for a while, but eventually they had to head out. I was veeeeerrrrrrry lazy after they left, and mostly just draped decoratively over the furniture for a while. But the night was coming on, and I wanted to do something. I started calling.

Everyone was busy and/or gone. Russ and Billy were on the way to Charlotte. They were going to stay overnight there before going to RenFaire tomorrow. I had been invited to go, but driving to Charlotte and back in a day, plus doing an event like that, was a bit more than I wanted to bite off. Kimbley and Laura were headed for Fall for Greenville. Jeff and James were headed to Charlotte, and invited me to go up with them, but they were leaving at 8am. Yikes.

So I decided I might get something actually done around the house tomorrow, and resigned myself to staying in tonight. Which I did. Since Jinx had helpfully thrown up on the bed again today (which is getting really old) I had plenty of time to wash all the bedclothes before I turned in.

No comments: