Saturday, October 23, 2010

A post in which I see Jennifer and Christina*

I was really looking forward to tonight. I haven't seen Jennifer and Christina in eons. But first, there was stuff to do.

I was fairly lazy in the morning. That wasn't helped by having a buddy come by. I finally got my coffee though, and that got my carcass moving. It would probably work better if I had it before noon.

I loaded up the car to run errands. I hauled off the recycling, and then was off to the grocery store. I had decided to take a shrimp aspic (one of my favorite recipes) with me to the party tonight, and needed to lay in supplies. This is one of those 50's recipes where you have to start with a half pound of cream cheese pretty much whatever you're making. The new Trader Joe's opened here yesterday to much fanfare. I decided to go up there and check it out. I was a bit apprehensive because I knew it would be really crowded, but I was curious enough to brave it.

I had underestimated the craziness. Apparently Greenvillians have been universally panting for a new grocery store because half the town was there. Or maybe it's true what my Dad says; Some people will show up for a one-legged ass kicking. There was a line to get in. There were many lines to get out. After weighing my options, I got a cart and pushed into the hubbub. I wasn't able to get very far though. Take the usual public-stupidity factor and magnify it by about five, and that's what the average Trader Joe's customer was exhibiting today. I was able to get the cart into an aisle, but I was then unable to get out of that aisle. The front was blocked by numerous snarled checkout lines. The rear was blocked by a back-up of all the other people trying to get down the aisle I was in. After some time that I couldn't move, I finally made it out, put my cart away, and skedaddled the hell to Publix. The little bit I saw was impressive. I figure I'll wait a month or so and go back when (hopefully) the worst of the madness is over.

I got home with my groceries, ate lunch, made my aspic, and decided to straighten up the house a bit while it chilled. I dusted the bedroom and most of the living room, gave the green room a lick and a promise, and vacuumed all the carpets. By the time I finished that, it was about time to get ready. I got cleaned up and rested for a bit.

I didn't want to be the first one there, but I was. I was so excited about going over that I made myself wait for a bit before I left the house. Still, Christina seemed pleased to see me. I guess someone has to be first, right?

Jennifer, unfortunately, was on the phone with the cable people. They had ordered the game, but it wasn't coming in. Charter was of course helpfully offering to send someone over next week, which would do absolutely no good. We ended up watching part of another game, and mainly visiting, which of course was the real reason I went anyway and suited me fine. Kimbley and Laura were there, and brought Jody with them. He's 14. He's a very nice young man, but he had to be bored half to death. Then another guy showed up with a three year old. A very sweet child, but of course he was all over the place, and they stayed until 11:30.

But I did get to see everyone, and there was a bit of excitement when we set the deck on fire (we got it put out and everything was fine). I enjoyed seeing and visiting with everyone. My aspic wasn't quite the rage I had hoped it would be, but Jennifer kept part of it for them to eat, and she asked for the recipe. Overall it was a nice evening.

No comments: