Thursday, October 14, 2010

A post in which I have dinner with Dick and Eve

I had set up to have dinner with Dad and Eve tonight. We went to El Matador. I just love their food. Supper was delicious. Dad and I got in to it a bit over dinner. We're usually pretty careful around each other, but he's on some kind of new medication Eve says makes him more talky than usual.

He was describing his theory for how to solve the problem with illegal immigration ("Just set up some machine guns on the border and mow 'em down!" was the general gist), and I foolishly rose to the bait. I was like "Really? That's what you want? Wholesale slaughter at the border?" Of course he had the bit in his teeth by that point. He accused me of wanting to give universal amnesty, and I told him that I thought the correct place would be somewhere between universal amnesty, and wholesale killing. Of course that makes me a bleeding-heart liberal to him. But I'm used to that.

I went back to the house, and the rest of the evening went better. They even left the TV off tonight to talk to me. Things were fine by the time I left. Eve blames his meds for the flare-up, but color me skeptical. He's my dad, and I do love him, but he's been a cranky ole so and so for the last twenty years. Without the new medication.

No comments: