Thursday, October 28, 2010

A post in which I spend the evening at home


When I got off work today, I had things to do. I’ve been out every night this week. First I went by the pet shop to pick up stuff for the cats. I decided to top spot them. I bought a rug at the flea market the other week, and I am afraid it had fleas in it. The cats are driving me nuts – you’d think they had the plague. Of course Jinx hasn’t had a flea in at least nine years, so she’s losing her mind. If that’s what it is.

Then I went by the grocery store for vegetables. Since I was so lazy last weekend I didn’t make lunches, and I’m out of stuff from the freezer that is homemade. I picked up some broccoli and some Halloween candy. Whether I’m home or not, I’ll just give it out where I am. I almost forgot to do that. I was wandering around the store, knowing I needed something, but unable to put my brain on just what it was, while at the same time trying to resist the call to by yummy fattening stuff I didn’t need (I was starving). I finally gave up and got in line, but then overheard the checker say something about Halloween, which reminded me.

I got home, put in a load of laundry (the hamper was overflowing), fed the cats, ate a huge salad, and put the broccoli on to cook. I have some saffron rice in the freezer I’ll pair it with for lunch tomorrow.

There was a great old movie on TCM tonight, called Dead of Night. It’s a frame tale of stories of the supernatural, and I guess pretty tame by today's standards, but I enjoyed it. I had seen part of it before, but this was the first time I had seen it all the way through. A creepy part with a talking ventriloquist’s dummy had put me off of it before. I can’t stand stuff with clowns, dolls, kid’s toys, or dummies in it. Bleah. Gives me the willies. But I enjoyed it, and it was perfect timing. They never show Bette Davis stuff in prime time, but they’re showing Whatever Happened to Baby Jane this Saturday night – while everyone will be doing Halloween. I have it on DVD, so I guess it doesn’t matter to me.

After that, Rebecca came on. I love that movie, and went to sleep watching it.

No comments: