Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A post in which I get a 'free' lunch

I decided this morning that I didn't feel like having coffee. I started having it every morning when my E-B was so bad, and that's when I started smoking every morning too (I didn't used to). So I didn't have coffee or cigarettes this morning, and I was sleepy all day. But I didn't have a headache. So I may be dependent, but I'm not addicted to the coffee. Or so I'm telling myself.

Today was the annual "client appreciation" lunch one of my agencies throws every year. I had two people who were supposed to go with me, but one backed out, and the other is out of town with a death in the family. So I was left to lunch with strangers on my own. I hate stuff like that. I loathe small talk. To make things worse, my friend at the agency, who usually comes down, didn't make the trip this time. His boss came. The boss decided that it would be great if we had a "informed discussion" and class during our lunch. This was a new and unwelcome development, especially as it mostly consisted of his talking for an hour and a half. If I had known, I wouldn't even have gone. The lunch was good, but frankly just wasn't worth it. Lunch is my time. I don't get paid for it. I would have rather eaten my packed lunch and read my book.

In another interesting (to me) aside, the sales rep who tried to kill me getting back from lunch the last time (it's like riding with Mr. Magoo, but not nearly as amusing) has a new car. Apparently it has many space-age conveniences, among which are sensors which tell him if he is positioned incorrectly in the lane, or too close to another car. Usually I think stuff like that is fairly worthless, but I can't think of a guy who needs it more!

During lunch I had a text from Dad that Eve was out of surgery, and that it seemed to have gone well. They were releasing her today, so I offered to bring supper in for them if it would help. She wanted Capri's, which was fine, and I ran by to get it after work.

They let me down tonight. My spaghetti had meat sauce on it. I haven't eaten any meat in a while, but it really wasn't what I wanted. But I didn't want to cause a fuss when Eve was so poorly (she's apparently in a good bit of pain) so I ate it. I wasn't thrilled about it; but I ate it.

We spend a pleasant evening chatting and visiting. Eve drifted in and out of sleep because of her pills, but that was fine. I hope they got her fixed up today. Both sides of her chest are cut open right now. That is just no way to live.

No comments: