Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A post in which I go to a party

I had another beastly day at work today. Alan is back from Beijing, but didn’t come in to the office. I really can’t blame him. I had three yellers today. That’s an unusual number. By the time I got off work I was ready to get the hell out of Dodge.

Not that that was possible. The traffic near the office was even worse than usual. I also made a wrong choice. It took me about 20 minutes to get to the freeway, a distance of about a mile and a half. That’s aggravating, but I’m used to it. The problem today was that I was on a tight schedule. Billy wanted me at their place by 6 to go to Brian and Vince’s Glee party tonight. Since there is no way I can make it to their place by that time if I have to go home first, I negotiated out until 6:30. Since this was a second-hand invitation (the party was for the cast of the Warehouse Theater production of Rocky Horror, which was how Billy was invited) I really felt that I could at least be there on time.

I rocketed home, stressed out all the way, and screeched in to the driveway, only to be confronted by a panhandler. In my own front yard. This is one of the great drawbacks to living on the wrong side of the tracks of late. There was another guy who actually came up on my porch and knocked on my door to ask for money this past weekend. I understand when I’m out in public I have to put up with public stuff. That occasionally involves a beggar. I HATE it when they ask me for money. If I give it to them I feel like an idiot, and if I don’t I feel like I’ve just told Jesus he can’t have a dollar. Not that she was asking for a dollar, mind you. She wanted ten. I was aggravated and in a hurry. I just gave her the money, since that was the easiest thing to do. Even if she did have French tips on her pedicure. So I don’t even get a star in my crown in heaven for it. The Lord loveth a cheerful giver. I was a notably put-out giver tonight.
That done, I raced into the house, changed, fed the cats, and hit the road. I was on time for Billy.
We ran by the grocery store to pick up some dessert, and when we got to the party I found out that I needn’t have rushed. The arrival didn’t even start until 7 and everyone was late. The party was to watch the Glee version of Rocky Horror, which was cute (with the notable exception of some awful changes to the lyrics of the song Touch-a Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me), but really it would have been just as good to watch the movie if not better.

Russ and I didn’t fit in too well with most of the theater people (who all knew each other from weeks of rehearsal), but a couple of them were quite nice. The smokers always bond across lines of mutual persecution. But it was raining, and of course there was no smoking in the house. Shortly after the program was over, so was I. It was very nice to have something to do, and I always enjoy seeing Brian and Vince, plus I was dying to get a look at their condo since they did extensive re-modeling; but between the crowd in the house and the rain outside, I was just ready to be home. So I went there.

No comments: