Saturday, October 2, 2010

A post in which it is a gorgeous day

I woke up to one of those beautiful, crisp, golden fall mornings today. Just beautiful. I should have been out somewhere biting in to a crisp apple, crunching through leaved, and throwing a stick for a fawning retriever. Instead, I ended up lazing around on the sofa.

Eventually I felt disgusted enough with myself to get up and go out and do something - anything. It wasn't like I didn't have stuff to do.

I dropped off some books and a shirt at Miss Kat's that she wanted to borrow, and then dropped off a small load of stuff. I went in and looked around, but that place was picked over. Sign o the times I suppose. I went to Old Navy and exchanged my pants, which for some reason involved a surprising amount of paperwork. Then I decided to grab a bite for lunch. I'd had a crappy breakfast, and only some cookies since. I went into Atlanta Bread company, and apparently lost my mind. I turned into one of those mouth-breathing idiots I hated when I worked with the general public. They had to tell me where everything was. I was so embarrassed. Then I sat down to eat my $8 sandwich and bit a huge chunk out of my tongue. That really hurt!

While I was out, I tried to get in touch with Kimbley and Laura, since I missed them last week. Neither answered, but Laura sent me a text back and told me to call Kimbely. Kimbley of course doesn't answer her phone, so I just left a message. I also got in touch with Russ and Billy (even though I have dinner at their place tomorrow already), but they had a family party with Billy's family tonight.

I went on to the farmer's market. I hardly ever go to the farmer's market because it sucks so badly here, but in the fall they get in winter squash and stuff. They didn't disappoint. I expected that the limited selection would at least be all local, but then I saw the bananas. Interesting. I asked the guy at the register how much of the stuff was local ("As much as we possibly can." he replied, which of course told me nothing). He said I would be surprised how many people thought those bananas were grown locally. If I hadn't lived her for over 20 years, I might have been, but you get to the point that all you can do is shake your head resignedly.

I had plenty to do at the house so I would be free to play all afternoon tomorrow as planned, so I headed back. I did some laundry, put my winter squash and some white sweet potatoes in to bake, and then washed and strung some snap beans (which were certainly dirty enough to be local).

I wanted to do something tonight, but had a bit of a quandary. Russ and Billy had a family function, but were going out later with Jeff and James. I was trying to decide which was more pitiful - me in a bar, or me home alone on a Saturday night. Fortunately I was presented with a third option. After trying to get in touch with Kimbely and Laura all day, I finally got a hold of D'relda, who was going over there tonight to make salmon stew. He just invited me as his 'date'. Mark is working out of town these days.

I stopped on the way over and got a pie from the grocery store (I really hadn't had enough notice to make something homemade). I was a little apprehensive about going over because I hadn't met Laura's nephews yet, but that turned out to be unfounded. They were super nice boys. There ended up being four of them because Kimbley's nephews came over for the evening, but they were all just as nice as they could be.

After talking and visiting for a while, we decided to put in a movie while we ate. They have a DVD projector and a movie screen in their back yard. It's really nice at a get together. Kimbley decided we would put in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?. Now I love that movie, but I never thought for one second that those boys would sit down and watch it.

They watched every frame! I was agog. Laura's younger nephew was particularly into it. He was talking to the screen and stuff. It was funny and very cute. About halfway through the movie I cut the pie. Every one of those boys thanked me for bringing a pie. They were so sweet. I was touched. It was a very nice evening.

No comments: