Monday, October 25, 2010

A post in which I get my costume

The BIG Halloween party is this weekend. We went last year, and it is amazing. It’s like a party that you see on television or something. I suppose it should, since the hosts have spent literally thousands of dollars on decorations. The price for going to such a party is that you are required to show up in costume; even the straight guys. It does make for a great party, but I hate wearing costumes. When I’m at a party I want to be able to move, eat, drink, and smoke in an unrestricted and comfortable fashion. There are notably few costumes which allow for this.

I spent a lot of time last year working on my costume, only to have the rest of the gang show up in a pretty lame group-theme thing, so this year I was determined that it would be easy. Billy got in touch today and I asked to borrow one of their togas. He and Russ have a costume closet with all the stuff for numerous outfits. They’re always off to one event/gala or another that requires fancy dress. Billy said that was fine, and invited me to come on over tonight to get it.

Willie was going to be there already, and we were cheerfully going through the costumery when Russ came in from work. I was sorted out quickly, and Willie, Billy, and Russ all had work to do on their costumes, so we just adjourned to the garage for a work session. Billy wore me out working with very sharp knives and thick cardboard. He has had so many hand injuries in the past year it was all I could do to watch him work with a blade.

We ordered in some pizza, of which I ate a shameful amount. Then we just hung out and talked and visited while they worked. They were still hard at it when I left for home.

No comments: