Saturday, May 22, 2010

A post in which I try to rest*

I woke up this morning feeling OK, all things considered. I was determined to get some rest in today. I’m going to rest as much as possible this weekend and hope that I feel good enough to go to Atlanta next weekend.

Speaking of which, Myz Shea called today to make sure we were all tickety-boo for the trip. We went over some food stuff, and I had to tell her about the problems I’m having with the ^%$^%##!! E-B right now. I really loathe having to be the invalid, but at the same token I had to make her aware of the problem in case there was an issue later. She was super nice about the whole thing, and said that if I didn’t feel good we could just hang out and visit, but I would really hate it if that’s all I can do. A whoopin would do me good.

I lay around the house today, spending most of the day on the sofa. I ate leftovers and treats from my Fresh Market trip out of the fridge. I brushed the cats and spent some time with them; they were greatly pleased. I snoozed off and on.

I've been thinking about my love life. At this time last year, I was entering a doomed romance which would leave me shattered and feeling very foolish afterwards. Which is better? That, or this nothing? Any future possibilities were pretty mcuh cleaned out over the last three weeks, and I'm just left The Cheese, standing alone. I have definitely learned to appreciate the small things about being with someone. As ill-advised as the romance was with M, I can say without hesitation that I didn't take any of it for granted, and that I wrung out all the joy that was to be had. That's a good lesson to learn. I suppose there is something to be said for having the decks clear for new possibilities should they arise.

I did run out and see a buddy for a while this afternoon. That was interesting. He’s an older guy who recently moved here from New England. He’s been waiting for his family to die (he was a caretaker for his mother, and then his uncle, until they died), but is now still too afraid to come out of the closet. It made me really sad to talk to him. He moved to a different area of the country, his family is dead, and still he is afraid to come out. Thank God I haven’t lived my life with that kind of fear.

When I got home I tried to watch The Hunchback of Notre Dame with Charles Laughton again, but couldn’t settle in to watch it. Eventually I just turned it over to some Family Guy re-runs.

No comments: