Sunday, May 16, 2010

A post in which I pay for yesterday, and go to a birthday party later

I woke up this morning feeling like hammered shit. I’ve been kind of teasing the Epstein-Barr along as it is, and yesterday the combo of all that activity and alcohol were coming back to haunt me. Although I have to say if I had it to do over again I would have. I have a date planned with new Billy tomorrow night, and a tough day at work. Tomorrow is going to be a long one.

I had a Precious Memorial Hangover day today. I made myself a wholesome smoothie to hopefully de-tox a little bit, but then I ate a piece of left-over pizza to go with it, which really didn’t help I guess. I did nothing all morning but lay on the sofa. I watched telly and fooled around online a bit, but half-heartedly. I got hooked in to a marathon on the super-morbidly obese on television, which made me not want to eat any lunch. But then I knew if I didn’t I would feel worse later when my blood sugar crashed.

I realized I had to do something and stir around a bit. Sometimes that helps. I changed the sheets and did a couple of loads of clothes, straightened up the house a bit, and started getting cleaned up. I had Justin and Amanda’s birthday party in Spartanburg tonight. I took some Ibuprofen and ate some lunch. Then I ran a couple of errands. By the time I did all that it was time to go. I was borderline about whether or not it was a good idea to go, but I really wanted to, and I had already RSVP’d. James always fixes something special for me to eat, and I would have felt bad about putting him to that trouble and then not showing up. Plus I had birthday presents for Amanda and Justin, and I wanted to give them their gifts.

Eventually I just decided to tough it out and go on. I figured sitting in the car, or on the patio, was about as much rest as sitting at home on the sofa. So I went.

It was a lovely evening, as I knew it would be. I wasn’t quite 100% at first, but I felt better later on. James and Jeff had gone all out as usual. They just work themselves to death when they have people in. They had bruschetta for an appetizer that was gorgeously delicious. Jeff made two birthday cakes (one for each). For supper we had grilled vegetable kabobs, chicken, corn on the cob, and mahi mahi for me. After we ate, they blew out their candles and opened the presents.

Amanda and Justin blow out the candles on their cakes. I know this isn't the best picture in the world, but for some reason it's the only one I took at the party. I have no idea why.

We ate some cake and spent the evening on the deck as the sun went down, visiting and just enjoying each other’s company. I was really glad I went.

1 comment:

JLo said...

And it was good to see you, Steve. I'm glad you decided to come. I'm looking at your gift sitting on the chest of the drawers right now!