Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A post in which Epstein-Barr rears it's ugly head

When I woke up this morning I felt horrible. I fixed my coffee and went out onto the porch, but then changed my mind. When I started back to get in my chair, I lost my balance and almost fell. Scary. Instead of feeling better, as I usually do when I get a little caffeine and nicotine in my system, I started feeling worse. It was like all the tiredness I’ve been holding off, bracing through, and getting by denying settled across me at once. I literally felt dizzy and weighted down by it. I've really been feeling bad since the weekend of the Hat Party, but I've been kind of nursing it along, and making (but then usually breaking) vows to get more rest. I've got to get back into some kind of working order before the weekend of the 29th, when I go to Atlanta for my play date.

There was just no way I could go to work today. I called in. That leaves me with one sick day for the rest of the year, which isn’t even half over. It’s so aggravating, because there is very little I can do about it. There really isn’t any treatment, except becoming a recluse; not an attractive option.

So I just lay around on the sofa and was worthless today. dana came by for a few minutes this afternoon. She had been hit by a guy five times today at a red light. Low-impact hits, but still. When the cops came, they had to track the guy down (he had left the scene), and they still didn’t make him do any kind of sobriety test. Unbelievable. Had that been I, I would be under the jail right now. Some people just seem to be able to get away with anything.

After she left, I just lay around. I had some hummus with the tarallini I bought in Asheville last weekend, and am now officially hooked. Those things are so good. Now I must find a local supplier.

I decided that I had to have some cake. I’ve been craving layer cake for a couple of weeks now, but the cakes last weekend were chocolate and red velvet, neither of which I really care for. But I didn’t want to leave the house, nor did I have the energy to clean up a big mess. I had a Jiffy cake mix, which would take only a minute to whip up, so I did that. While it was in the oven, I tried to decide how to frost it. What I wanted was a Mexican lime wedding icing I had read about, but that takes a lot beating egg whites and stuff. I settled for a very simple lime butter cream. Just powdered sugar beat with softened butter and lime juice. Man, that hit the spot. I managed not to eat too horribly much of it too; although now I have almost half a cake left. I figure if I eat it in little pieces over the next couple of days it won’t be too bad.

No comments: