Thursday, May 20, 2010

A post in which I inadvisedly shop my way home

I actually felt better today, which was nice. I went on in to work and got all my write-offs done.

I ran errands on the way home. I went to my favorite wine place on the way home because I had called ahead, and they told me they had tarallini, but they didn’t. Apparently Angela and the west coast are out in front on wine trends – not a huge surprise, but they were carrying it in Asheville already. I asked about Lambrusco at my place tonight, and they directed me to the bottom shelf of the cheap wines section, where they had three different size bottles of the same Lambrusco – Riunite. I reminded myself that you’re supposed to drink wine that you like, not to impress the guys at the wine store. I put a bottle in my basket. I also bought some cheap red to cook with, and a bottle of Vouvray.

I then stopped off at the Fresh Market, because I figured they would have tarallini there if anywhere, but no dice. I picked up some various treats for myself while I was there, as I am wont to do. Some grapefruit candy, a round of focaccia bread (which has mysteriously disappeared from all the area grocery stores lately for some reason), some smoked cheddar, some other wine crackers that were on sale, and of course an almond pillow cookie (stuffed with spiced marzipan, and one of my favorite things – but I only got one) made it into the cart. I was very proud of myself for not buying any of their gorgeously delicious pimento cheese. It is one of my favorite things in the world, but I avoided it in the interest of my kind-of diet. $30 later I emerged triumphant and headed home.

I had some veggies that needed to be eaten, but I really wanted focaccia bread tonight, so I made a focaccia sandwich with fresh avocado, tomato, oil and balsamic vinegar, and a sprinkling of shredded parmesan (not the powered stuff, the good kind) – fabulous!

I got caught up watching Balls of Fury, I am embarrassed to admit. Eventually I was ashamed of myself (even in the house alone) to be watching such dreck, and just went ahead and got ready for bed.

No comments: