Sunday, May 23, 2010

A post in which I try to keep being good

I got up this morning and moved to the sofa. I haven’t had any coffee this weekend, and haven’t smoked a cigarette since Friday night. But man, it is so tedious. I feel like I have just wasted the weekend. I’m trying to look at it as part of my service to Myz Shea for next weekend, but that’s not really working so well.

I had a bit of breakfast, and turned on There’s No Business Like Show Business on TCM. The movie is pretty bad, but it has musical numbers with Marilyn Monroe (including her famous version of Heat Wave) and lots of Ethel Merman, although Donald O’Connor being the love interest for Marilyn Monroe is incongruous enough to be distracting to me. I ended up snoozing through most of it, but woke up for the finale.

After that I decided to go over to the flea market to get fruit for lunches. I did the walk (even though it was far too late to find any glass), and decided to pick up a couple of seedless watermelons before I left. It was hot, and I was tired. There was only one vendor left who had any seedless melons, and there was this woman standing there with her 11,000 children blocking all access to the melons, and thumping them all repeatedly. Now first, thumping a watermelon tells you diddly-squat about how good it is. It is simple to pick out a good watermelon. There is a whitish patch on the underside of the melon. The more yellow the patch, the riper the melon was allowed to get before it was picked and the sweeter it is. So I can tell this woman knows nothing about picking out produce. As if that wasn’t annoying enough, all of the kids had picked out a melon and were thumping them as well. One boy was beating the shit out of a melon with his fist, really trying to break it open. The woman was oblivious to all of this. I was really annoyed. I was about to just leave when she finally picked out a melon and, thumping it repeatedly, went to pay for it. When the herd of children moved out, I just moved in and picked some melons out of the back that they weren’t able to reach.

After that I went to the grocery store and picked up the rest of what I needed for lunches this week. When I got home, I was pretty wiped. I put away the food, ate a little lunch, and lay down for a bit.

Paul called, and I listened to the latest Cindy vs. Dad and Eve chapter. I offered what advice I could, but really there was precious little I could say that hadn’t been said before. I’m just tired of all this, and so is Paul. It would be so much easier on everyone if they’d just be a bit nicer to each other. Apparently Dad has called Paul and left a message for him, which means he’s desperate. Having seen some of Eve’s latest melt-downs, I can understand that. Paul has told them that he’s heard from people he knows here that Dad and Eve have been talking about them, the money, and the whole ugly mess. Eve has sworn that they haven’t breathed a word to anyone. Which is not true. Nonetheless, I’m sure I’ll be blamed for that. *Sigh*.

Later on I decided that I had to get some stuff done. First, I had chores that I have to do on the weekend, and second I was kind of half-way hoping that Miss Kat and dana would call, even though it probably wouldn’t have been the best thing for me to go visiting tonight. I was just going stir-crazy at this point.

I made the lunches for next week (very light – broccoli and brown rice), changed the sheets, and did a couple of loads of laundry. I cut up a watermelon and cleaned up the kitchen, made some drink mix, did the cat chores, and then got cleaned up myself. By the time I finished all that I was feeling drug out, and as if I had over-done it. Not a good omen for the coming week. I settled in to watch the Fox lineup and ate a bit of supper. I turned in early, but didn’t get to sleep until later. I was restless. But at least Something, Something, Something, Dark Side was on.

No comments: