Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A post in which I drop some CASH

It was a quiet day today. My boss was unexpectedly out of the office, which usually makes my life a lot more serene. I had to be up early for the &&*^&^%$%$#!! quarterly meeting anyway though. I was SO sleepy, and just couldn’t seem to get woken up. Later on in the morning I started feeling really bad. I’m going to have to get more rest than I have been getting.

While we were waiting for the meeting to start, I discussed the Jason situation with my friend Chris, whom I consider to be a master of the art of productive female rage. I say this because she left her husband, and then made him toe the line in order to accept him back. What’s more, it seems to have actually worked. She said she wouldn’t call Jason at all; she would wait until he called her back to talk to him. That seems like sound advice, so that’s what I’ve decided to do.

We had a vendor floor day, and they brought in lunch for us. The food was excellent. There was a marinated broccoli salad with Kalamata olives, perfectly warmed flatbread, covered with some of the best Tzatziki sauce I have ever eaten. I would kill for the recipe for that broccoli salad. The baklava they served was the best I had ever eaten.

On the way home though, I just couldn’t face eating leftovers, which is what I really should have eaten. All I could think about was some hibachi-style food with that white sauce they make for us yanks, like the dinner I had enjoyed at Miss Kat's last weekend. I went by the library, and on the way in I succumbed. I went by Joy of Tokyo II (which I seriously doubt would really make any Japanese person joyful, but which puts out some tasty food for us gringos) and picked up an order of hibachi vegetables and an eel roll to go.

I had rented Sudden Fear from the library. I’ve seen it before, but I went through the TCM website not long ago and felt bad for Joan that almost none of her movies were scheduled, despite a bumper crop of Bette coming up, so I went to the library and requested to check out Sudden again. Joan is really over the top in Sudden, and is interestingly cast with Jack Parlance as her deceitful husband. He wasn’t traditionally handsome, but then they really couldn’t cast her with pretty boys any longer at that point. (She was 47 for cry-eye, and Jack was 33, so still 14 years her junior, for those who are interested.)

Then I logged on to the web to finally register for SELF. I heard back from Russ today, and his buddy wasn’t able to get a special rate at SELF for the rooms there. Apparently SELF has negotiated a special rate and set aside a block of rooms. So I got my room reserved and got myself registered. The time off has been approved, and I’m good to go. But that was almost $450 to get squared away. It’s an expensive event. I talked to Miss Kat, and she’ll be staying with me - Yay! But when Russ and Billy are there Saturday night that means we’ll be sleeping together – Eek! There is no way I’m going to be able to cut one with Miss Kat in the bed!

I have also decided on a new picture. I went ahead and bid on it tonight. I wanted something with a bondage flavor to it, but didn’t want some tacky 80’s Patrick Nagel-style bondage pic on the wall. I’ve chosen a reproduction of The Torture of Prometheus (painted in 1819 by Jean-Louis-Cesar Lair). It’s a neo-classical painting with subtext. I had looked at a lot of the baroque paintings of saints and stuff, because many of the artists just gave the paintings religious titles so they could paint nekkid people, but it just seemed wrong to hang a religiously-themed painting (however conveniently insincere the title) with prurient intent. Fortunately, many artists give paintings themes from “classical mythology” in order to paint nekkid people (or in order to do an "anatomical study" in artistic parlance), which works just fine for me. I like stuff that seems classy until you get right up on it or think about it for a bit, and this picture fits the bill perfectly. The pic will cost $56, but then I have to have it stretched and framed; cheap as chips for a real hand-painted oil though, reproduction or not. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when it gets here.

That done, I enjoyed the movie for a while, but the day just caught up with me. I was up so early. I just turned it off and went to bed.

No comments: