Saturday, May 8, 2010

A post in which I enjoy a lovely evening at Miss Kat and dana's house

I woke up feeling lazy today, but good. I fooled around on the computer for a bit, and then decided to go on to the flea market rather than take a nap. I figured I’d get it in later, and it had been a while since I just went over to White Horse by myself.

It was beautiful weather, and just a pleasure to be outside. While I was walking around, I ran into Justin and Chad. They apparently go out to White Horse regularly to see Chad’s parents, who have a booth out there. I walked around with them, and found a little Adam plate for $1. So I picked that up.

They were antsy to head on somewhere else though, so they took off. I wandered around a little on my own, just basically enjoying myself because I knew when I got home I would feel like I had to do stuff before Jason got there. I decided to go ahead and by my vegetables and fruit for the week, so I had only the cooking to do Sunday afternoon. When I got home I relaxed for a bit, and took a little nap. I had been up late last night, and I knew I would need the energy for later.

When I woke up, the house was stuffy, and I had a headache. But I had things to do, so I got up and took some Ibuprofen and started to stir around. I opened the windows since it was nice outside, and started futzing around the house, changing the sheets, etc. No word from Jason, but I had plenty to do. I left a message on his cell phone, and kept on with the house stuff.

After another hour with no callback, I texted him. I decided to go ahead and do the cooking. I was wondering if maybe he had said something about coming in later? I knew he was coming in to town to see his mother for Mother’s Day, but couldn’t remember any details about when he would get here. dana called while I was cooking, and I explained that I couldn’t make any plans yet because I didn’t know when Jason was arriving, but told her I would call her when he got in. I tried calling again – no answer.

At this point I was getting pretty peeved. I couldn’t think of any scenario short of a traffic accident involving serious injury that would prevent a five-minute phone call. I finished up the cooking and cleaned up the kitchen. I packed up the lunches for next week, and got cleaned up. At this point it was after five, and I just decided to go on. I called dana and she was nice enough to invite me to their place for supper. I figured if and when Jason showed up, he could call me.

Greg was up from Atlanta, and we had a very nice evening. There is a new Asian place near their house that has good Teppanyaki and Chinese food as well. We had a good meal, and decided to hang out in their little-used dining room. Greg had expressed a desire to go out on the town for a while, but after discussion, we just decided to stay in. I was certainly game for that, having been on my feet so much of the day, and loathing bars as I (usually) do.

So we stayed in, talked and visited, and played rummy until late. I LOVE to play cards, and miss having a card partner very much. Billy has told me he plays Euchre, and I know Miss Kat loves that game, so hopefully at some point we’ll be able to set up an evening playing. I had a great time tonight though, just hanging out with them.

I thought again tonight about how lucky I am to have such great friends. I know there are a lot of people who just live in isolation when they become single at my age. I’m so very grateful to have such a full and rewarding life that so many wonderful people have chosen to be a part of. I never take that for granted.

No comments: