Saturday, March 28, 2009

A post in which it is a rainy yucckky day

I got up this morning and had homemade veggie sausage McMuffins (come and get me Ronald), which I had been looking forward to all week, along with some Indian tea. Thus fueled, I proceeded to do nothing for a bit. As the sun came up, I could see it raining and raining and raining. Eventually I put in some laundry - I figured that was the least I could do. That got me a bit motivated.

I thought of all the things around here that need doing, and how this was a perfect day to do them. I decided to do what I call "organic cleaning". It's where you just start in doing stuff without really having a plan, and do things along the way. For instance:

* There was still a hole in the pictures over the fireplace from where I got that new big painting Valentine's weekend. I have a poster here that hasn't been up in a while that I decided to put up there, using a frame from another picture that was in the kitchen. The poster had been behind a chest of drawers in the bedroom. When I moved the chest of drawers out, it was dusty back there and needed to be moved completely and cleaned out. So I moved the chest out.

* I got out the vacuum to clean out back there and to get the worst of the dust off the cover that was over the poster. I realized I really have to change the bag in the vacuum.

* I went under the kitchen sink to get vacuum bags, but I'm out. While I was under there, I took everything out from under the sink, sorted through it, tossed what needed to be tossed, and moved some stuff around. I really need new shelf paper under there, but I wasn't taking that on today. I put vacuum bags that on the list and re-organized everything as I put it back in. I had seen on How Clean is Your House? that you never throw away a tooth brush, because they can be used to clean. Apparently I took that to heart. I found 23 old tooth brushes under the sinks today.

The toothbrushes I found under the sinks today. Wow, this just gets more and more riveting doesn't it? Sorry readers, it was a slow day.

The nine vases I'm taking to Goodwill tomorrow. I kept a couple, plus I have antique vases. OK, first, there hasn't been a fresh flower in this house since my surgery last summer. Second, even Zsa Zsa Gabor doesn't need this many vases. I think I have been guilty of being a prisoner of optimism.

* While I was under the sink I found one insert for an air freshener I no longer use, so I dug around under the bathroom sink for it, put the insert in, and plugged it in. While I was under there, I cleaned out under the bathroom sink as well. I had stopped using air fresheners because my ex didn't like them. Now I found out they cause cancer, so I'll just throw it away after the insert dries out. But that's something out from under two sinks.

* When I was finishing up under the kitchen sink, I found some drain stuff I didn't know I had, and used it on the slow drain in the bathroom.

* After I finished all that, I cleaned the picture frame, put the poster in it, and hung it. It doesn't look great there, but it looks better than a hole. I'm going to do a collage of family pictures in the kitchen so they'll all be in there with me while I'm cooking.

I had planned on finishing up by cleaning the bedroom, but the vacuum was full, and I wasn't about to go out in the rain to get more vacuum bags, which was as good an excuse as any. I had vases all over the kitchen waiting to go to Goodwill tomorrow. I soaked my new teapot to get all the labels off of it, put it in the cabinet, and got out my old one to go tomorrow. It was a cheap-o and droozles tea everywhere when I use it.

I kind of got a bit blue over the vases. I used to get flowers on Valentine's Day, our anniversary, and sometimes on my birthday. I guess it will be a good while before I get any more. I had kept them around to take flowers to BB in at the home, but now she's in Hendersonville, so I won't see her as often. It is time for them to go, but it still kind of makes me sad. I can't bear to throw out the dead flowers either. Michael always used to have to do that.

I ate some lunch and took a wee nappie.

Jeremiah texted me today that he was coming over, so I went ahead and got cleaned up. He stood me up, as usual, which was pretty much what I expected. I went on to the store. I picked up some paint and brushes, but decided it was too wet to paint when I got home. I am so ready to paint the bedroom and living room. I have to have someone to help me move furniture in the bedroom though. Plus I'm having this big debate over whether I need to do the ceilings again first.

I got the right vacuum bags on the first try, changed out the bag, and vacuumed a bit. I had forgotten how good my vacuum is - that thing really sucks!

By this point, my motivation was pretty much over. I did get some stuff done today. I finished all the laundry except for the sheets. I always kind of leave the sheets til Sunday just in case.

I made some supper, and sat down to watch telly. The TCM Essential tonight was Ben-Hur. I hadn't seen that one before, so I watched it all the way through. I'm not a huge Charlton Heston fan, and most of the movie had a kind of mui-macho plot line (despite the famed homo-erotic subtext) that was a bit much for me (you hurt my women-folk, so I'm-a gonna getcha!), but it was a good movie. It was also distracting to me that the villain's name was Messala. Garam masala is an Indian spice, so that kept making me think about Indian food. I was ready for sleep before it was over, but I stayed up to watch it all.

1 comment:

Ms. Red said...

It's amazing what you can find when you clean the house. It's kind of like Christmas and an episode of What the hell was I thinking all in one!