Sunday, March 29, 2009

A post in which I long for an invitation

I got up and had more veggie muffins today - yummy! It was beautiful outside but really windy, just as the weatherman predicted. I was restless. I decided to go to the flea market, even though I'm trying to cut down. I figured there would be a lot of people there, but I guess they didn't want to go out in the wind, because there were hardly any yard sale people. Which was fine. I had a list of things I needed, but didn't find most of it today. The Tide guy didn't have any Tide. I priced lawn mowers. I can get a decent fixed up used one for $60, about the same cost as having one fixed. The tool guy wasn't there. I did find a little screwdriver like I needed, but it was part of a set, and I ended up paying $5 for them, which was more than I wanted to pay for it. I got some produce. I couldn't find any Excedrin Tension Headache either, except in the mondo size, and expired. I usually keep it in my desk at work. I tossed a little pack of Goody powers I had at the house into my briefcase to take in. I called Anna because I felt like going on down to Anderson, but she didn't answer, as is pretty usual. I have got to get that girl a cell phone.

I got home and ate some lunch. I had gotten avocados so I could have California Clubs this week for dinner, so I made one today. Afterwards I decided to go ahead and make lunches for this week. I made some pasta and tossed it with sauce I pulled out of the freezer. I wanted to go ahead and get chores done this morning so I could play this evening if I was invited to do so. I've spent so much time at home alone this month that I'm kind of climbing the walls.

After doing that, and cleaning the kitchen, I lay down for what I thought was a wee nappie, but the next thing I knew it was 4pm! I got up and got ready to go to the Goodwill before they closed. I wanted all those vases out of the house. If I decide to get rid of something I try to do it immediately, before I second-guess myself. The house is so small that it's just always good to get rid of something. I got everything loaded up and to the Goodwill. I cruised the store too, but didn't score.

By this time, Russ had called and asked if I wanted to hang out this afternoon, which I absolutely did. I got home, got cleaned up, and got out of the shower in time for Justin to call. Apparently it was my day to be popular. I jumped in the car and headed to Russ's.

When I got there, we caught up a bit, and loaded a freezer to take over the Miss Helen. Apparently she's really into the survivalist thing these days and is stockpiling food. We got there and unloaded, then went upstairs with dana for a visit. I really like dana. We talked and laughed for a while, and then Russ was ready to eat.

We both had the munchies something awful, and were trying to decide where to eat. We had decided on Mexican and were headed back to the East side, when Russ mentioned that we were going to pass Golden Corral. At the same time, we both said "Seafood celebration!!" They have been having a seafood thing lately, and I decided I could just murder some crab cakes. So off we went. They have strawberry soda in the fountain there. I was astonished. So we dived upon the buffet and ate like crazed weasels. The coconut shrimp were over-cooked, but it's hard to mess up shrimp. The breading and their little tails were all crispy. The little scallops had been thrown in the fryer still frozen, and so escaped without being badly overcooked, unusually. The fried fish was surprisingly excellent. The crab cakes were mostly breading, as I had expected, but there was some real crab in them. The problem was that they were so over-spiced that all you could taste was the seafood spice blend they had in them. They were also heavy and greasy. I had two and a half. Then it was time for dessert. I tried a couple of things, but they had these little tiny chocolate chess pies that were just fucking heaven. They were WONDERFUL. After that I was stuffed. Those crab cakes were laid in my stomach like hockey pucks.

We went back to Russ's, but we had eaten until we basically couldn't move. Or sit up and even talk and visit. After a few minutes, Russ announced that he had to go to bed. I went home and did the same thing.

Apparently I wasted a bunch of energy wondering where things with the guy from work might go - he didn't call all weekend. Just as well I guess.

No comments: