Sunday, March 15, 2009

A post in which it is another yucky day

I got up this morning to more drizzly yuck. I made some more Indian tea. I'm thinking about trying some pepper in it, but didn't do that today. I just read a short story by an Indian woman where she talks about brewing tea with black pepper in it, among other things. That might be interesting.

I talked to Robert when he got off work this morning and we caught up. It was good to talk to him. We hadn't talked in a while. He's all abuzz about going to Florida to meet a new love thang. I guess maybe I should look into long distance. It just seems like so much work though, plus I hate to travel. There are so many issues with a new relationship anyway, I just can't see going in with the deck stacked against me. On the other hand, I have no prospects at all right now. Maybe a long shot is better than nothing.

I turned on my beans and lentils in the crock pot. I checked messages and messed around on the computer until I knew I was going to have to eat something. I wanted biscuits, but didn't want anything bad enough to get out in the dreck to go get it.

I finally made some cheese grits. Tried some new twists on the recipe to try to use less cheese, and I have to say they turned out pretty smashing. By the time they were done, it was just about time for an old Lynn Redgrave movie called Georgy Girl to start on TCM. Although acclaimed at the time, the movie is as dated as a Polaroid at this point. It was quite late 60's-esque, with lots of emphasis on "doing your own thing", peg-legged suits, and a-line dresses. It was interesting to see Lynn Redgrave looking dowdy so early in her career when she was so glamorous later. It was also interesting to note that by the end of the movie, Georgy sells out her free-wheeling ideals and marries a man she doesn't love for money and security. I couldn't decide if this was more aggravating than if everything had miraculously turned out so she could continue a groovy lifestyle. It certainly seemed out of character for her character though.

When it was over, I took a nap. I've been tired all weekend. I'm definitely going to have to go back to the doctor on Monday.

When I got up, I decided I had to start doing some chores to be ready for work tomorrow. I put my new gingerbread sheets on the bed and washed the old ones, cleaned up the kitchen, worked on my dal, and got ready to go to the store.

I did the shopping (with fatigue hanging off me as if dragging Marley-like chains everywhere I went), came home, and worked on the dal some more. The garlic and Golden Curry I put in had made it quite tasty, but I wanted to add some more veggies. I pan roasted onions and broccoli in butter with turmeric and curry powder, then mixed them into my bean base. It turned out really delicious. Hearty from the perfectly done beans, rich from the (moderate) amount of added fat, and with layers of flavor from the spices and vegetables. It's probably the best Indian dish I have ever made. I made some brown rice to eat with it and portioned it all out. Got way more than 5 servings out of it too. I have 5 lunches for this week, two lunches portioned and frozen, some dal left over that I froze, and a bowl of it for dinner. It was really tasty and satisfying.

I watched the Fox Sunday line-up while I cleaned up the kitchen and got ready for bed. Another long week is on the way. I'm pissed that I didn't get to have any fun this weekend, but am still worn out.

No comments: