Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A post in which I have dinner with Dad

I called Eve after work today because I told Dad I'd come over there for dinner one night this week. Although I was trying to giver her some advanced notice, she said tonight would be fine since they were going out to eat anyway. I met them at El Matador since they asked me where I wanted to go. The staff was super-nice, as usual, and we had my favorite waitress.

Dinner went pretty well. We hadn't seen each other in about three or four weeks since I pissed Dad off the last time I talked to him, so I had plenty of safe stuff to talk about. We talked about TV shows and Eve gossiped about people they know. It was pretty pleasant.

Dad talked to me about a house he may be able to pick up for a bargain and asked if I would be interested. I don't know. The kitchen is small, and the house itself is about the same size as the one I'm in. But it has an all brick exterior, and a new heating/cooling system that is very energy efficient. I'd be interested in seeing it, but I don't know how I feel about moving. Or going in to something like that with my Dad again. Also, houses in my neighborhood aren't selling, and I'd have to do a good bit of work on mine before I could put it on the market. Overall, I'm thinking not, but I'd be interested to at least look at the other one.

After dinner, I had to go to the grocery store. I could tell Dad was disappointed that I didn't come back to the house, but I had to get groceries in order to be able to take lunch tomorrow. I had already planned to go to the store, and just kind of put it off to have dinner with them. Plus, I'm not 100% sure I want to commit to a whole evening over there just yet. No matter what I do, it's never enough anyway, so it's not like going to the house would have made a huge difference. If someone is never satisfied, you just set your own limits on what you'll give, and stick to them.

I went by the store, then came home and cooked Morningstar Farms chicken strips for sandwiches this week. Apparently they have stopped making the beef ones. I haven't been able to find them anywhere, and they were my favorite. I'm making subs for lunch the rest of the week. I really miss the roast beef subs from The Red Barn, and the ones I made with those strips were almost as good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW Red Barns been gone a long time ,it was the oil and vinegar that made them great lol Risa screwed that whole place up when she moved it to taylors lol Miss it myself some days

thefabulousmrthing said...

I figured out the whole oil-vinegar-spice combo think, with the tiny little onion slivers. But fake roast beef is hard to come by.