Friday, March 13, 2009

A post in which the cycle of hell at work continues

Another early morning, and I'm 5 for 5 having coffee this week. How long does it take to get a caffeine addiction? I don't want one.

I went into work feeling fairly confident today, but circumstances intervened. I had a meeting with my boss, did my calls, beat dead horses, and we had another 70k+ bankruptcy come through this afternoon. I was really glad to get out of there and end this week. Today was Judi's last day for a while. She is going to be out 6-9 weeks having cancer surgery. I'm going to miss her. I hope she does well, but the prognosis is not super great.

By the time I left, I felt bad. I'm taking my antibiotics (I've only missed one dose), but I feel squiffy still. And I shouldn't. I got home, and then remembered I had intended to go to the library tonight for more books on CD for the drive to Columbia, right lampooned by The Cafe and Then Some as one of the boringest drives in America. That meant I had to go back out, which I was loathe to do, but I did it. I started feeling worse. I got my books and stuff (and scored the copy of the new MaryJanice Davidson Betsy vampire book - yay), and was ravenously hungry by this time, having taken a diet lunch to work today. That smashed the last of my willpower. I went to the Nihao Chinese buffet off Woodruff road and stuffed myself.

By the time I got to the restaurant, my throat was sore and my chest hurt. After I ate I didn't feel much better. I called Mom and told her I may not come down tomorrow. I feel like as soon as the antibiotics run out I 'm going to be sick again, and I run out tomorrow. She was nice about it, but I hate to let her and Maureen down. Cole was coming to stay the night Saturday night too, and I hate to miss getting to see him.

When I got home, my invitation to The Hat Party had arrived. The theme this year is Hollywood. As usual, as soon as I opened the envelope I was struck with inspiration. That's the third or fourth really great idea I've had this year. But I usually go with my envelope inspiration, and this year will probably be no different. I went to Ebay and priced some items to go on that hat but haven't actually ordered anything yet.

Double Indemnity was on tonight on TCM. I have never seen it, but it has been on my list for a while. I caught it already in process. Barbara Stanwyck was great and over-the-top at the same time as the rotten-to-the-core scheming trophy wife. She was at once riveting and at the same time begging to be lampooned. And that hair was awful. I know it was fashionable at the time, but I couldn't decide if she was wearing a wig or not. Ultimately, though, I fell asleep before it was over. I was pretty much all in tonight.

No comments: