Thursday, March 19, 2009

A post in which it is no longer news that they are trying to fucking kill me at work

But yet, I will write about it anyway, because it's better than going postal. Well for the people who work with me, anyway.

Notes from the other side - through the corporate looking glass:

- I found out today that they laid off one of the best IT guys we had, while still maintaining employment for numberless clueless minions in the Philippines. They have caused the help line to be christened the lack-of-help line by employees.

- My boss has for some reason decided I am a lawyer today, and instructed me to begin preparing complex legal filings which we have never done in-house before. Beware the boss who attends a 2 hour seminar - he then becomes an expert. Apparently about anything. I'm waiting for them to fire our HMO and instruct me to start treating employees for illness. Bad news for the woman in our department with cancer.

- Layoffs have sneakily begun again. As usual, the company is cherry-picking employees with health problems, then telling making them sign suit waivers to get their severance packages. Illegal? Oh hell yeah. A woman I've worked with for 15 years told me today that she will probably be laid off by month's end. Her boss has already told her the layoff in that department begins with her.

And they wonder why morale is low. Perhaps we should hire an expensive consultant to tell us.

I left work and decided I didn't feel like going to the bear dinner tonight. It was at a place called Lieu's. Lieu's is OK, but it's pretty expensive, and I really didn't feel like socializing tonight. Or spending the money. Or going anywhere with illness lurking in my chest, just waiting for the antibiotics to run out.

I went to the grocery store and bought a good amount of groceries for about the same amount I would have spent on dinner out.

I turned on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the new one with Johnny Depp was on tonight) and made tea, balanced my checkbook, and attended to various and sundry other little chores around the house.

No comments: