Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A post in which they continue trying to kill me at work

I slept for nine and a half hours last night, an woke up feeling human, but still kind of fragile. I still have an ache in my throat that shouldn't be there, but the worst of the tiredness is gone. I know I sound like a hypochondriac, but you just know when something isn't right in your body, you know? Something's been off, and it ain't right yet.

While I was getting ready for work this morning I had a special on Howard Hughes playing on telly. They do Discovery Classroom series in the mornings on the History Channel, and I tune in sometimes. I was a bit wistful when they talked about his withdrawal to a darkened hotel room to live the remainder of his life. Of course, he was mentally ill, but with all that's going on right now, it just seems like it would be such a luxury to be able to go inside, lock the door, and not deal with anyone if you didn't feel like it.

Then I went in to work and navigated the field of land mines my desk has become. My portfolio is at 6.5 million now, and people just keep walking over, dumping, and brushing their hands as they go away. There is no end in sight. My boss apparently thinks that the more ridiculous and unreasonable demands he makes, the better off we will be. So in addition to my huge legitimate work load, I am supposed to chase down all his wild geese and flights of fancy as well. In the process, I look like a total ass to the people I work with, required as I am to ask his stupid questions.

I sat down, looked up at the clock, and it was quarter to 1. I ate my fruit. When I looked at the clock again it was almost 3pm. I ate my lunch.

I was wading through paperwork when I realized it was time to go home. I finished up what I was working on and just left.

I got home and had eggs and biscuits for breakfast, because that was what I wanted, and because I got biscuits at the store this week.

After dinner, I just went to bed. I was worn out and discouraged.

I turned on Monster Quest, thinking it would put me to sleep. It was about alligators in the city of New York tonight, so of course I was thinking about Michael. After about a half hour though, the dildonicness of it all just annoyed me. There were no alligators in the sewers of New York, but they had plenty of footage of alligators - shot in Florida. There was also a good amount of footage of two dueling alligator experts, auguring over whether or not alligators could live in sewers. In addition to all of this, there were several clips of footage taken in the sewer system, showing nothing, but shown over and over again. They must have either a) not been able to take much footage; or b) not much of it came out. After a half hour, I just changed the channel. I did turn it back towards the end, when the made their great reveal - of a salamander. They made a big deal out of how *gasp* this was another animal that shouldn't survive down here!! How could they do a second season of this show? Basically, they go on a hunt and find nothing every week, then have to parlay that into a show, repeatedly using the "teaser" to hint at something they aren't going to show when they come back. OK, I won't be using that as a bedtime show any more.

I flipped over to a documentary about modern skinheads, but that was too depressing. I thought briefly about what it would be like to infiltrate the groups as a mole, but then decided it would probably be really boring. Until you got killed. We're not talking the mental cream of the crop here.

I eventually turned it over to the History Channel and went on to sleep. Yep folks, this is the life of an Internet stud. Exciting isn't it?

No comments: