Friday, March 20, 2009

A post in which I am tired of hearing MYSELF whine

Work was for the most part quiet today. I got all my write-offs paperwork done, which is always a good time of the month. Due to my boss's laid-back attitude about approving them, my new Zen approach on getting them processed is working for me.

I'm also learning how to work around his new-found bankruptcy expertise - at least the worst of it. Although he has learned a bunch of new impressive terms at the seminar he went to, he apparently has little to no grounding on what they actually mean, or where they apply. After reading up on some of the new things he wanted me to do, they in no way apply to many of the situations in which he wanted me to use them. Yeah. So by quietly pointing out why these shiny new things can't actually be used in some situations, he backs off a bit. The ones they apply in, I'm fairly sure I can apply to some extent.

After reading back over this blog for the last two weeks, I feel whiny and fairly Schleprock-esque. For those of you who hung in there. Thanks. I'm not a good sick person.

At any rate, illness waiting in the wings or not, I decided I was tired of staying home. I asked Anna what she was doing tonight, and we made plans to go to Ni Hao for buffet sushi, and then to see Coraline, which she hadn't seen either. I really wanted to see it in the theater since it is in 3D.

Dinner went well. We always seem to have SO MUCH to say to each other. She speaks my language and usually understands even my more obscure references. We have a very similar sense of humor and seem to appreciate many of the same things, and notice many of the small ironies that just spring up like weeds in your life when you live here.

I bounced the whole party debacle off her and she was as flummoxed as I am. Interestingly, during that discussion astrology came up, and we both have the same opinion about that too. We're not slaves to the stars, but there are just too many things about it that seem to be true to write it off completely.

The movie was awesome - truly as good as I had been led to believe. I had read all the reviews I could without reading spoilers, of course. It was magical, and whimsical, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Anna an I both became excited when we found out, in unison during the credits, that French and Saunders were doing parts. We both love them, and hadn't realized they were in the movie. They were divine, of course, and it would have been well worth the price of admission to me just to see their part, complete with a parody of the famous Birth of Venus. Spectacular! But the whole movie was good. I loved the British fairly lore that they left in. I also loved the fact that such good stories are being made about assertive and spunky girls! (Part of the strange dichotomy of our culture at the moment. While on the one hand younger women are increasingly sexualized and objectified, on the other hand never have more doors been open to them. It makes me really glad that I'm not raising a daughter.) And Anna was the perfect person to see it with. Anna has such a great sense of whimsy, and is as unabashed as I am about her excitement and appreciation of things. She is just so much fun.

Anna in her 3D glasses

Me in my 3D glasses - I don't know why I always want to make pictures in the glasses

Afterwards, I dropped her off at home, and we made plans to go to the Barnyard flea market tomorrow. Yay! That will be lots of fun.

No comments: