Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A post in which I just want to be at home

It turned off ugly again today, and cold. I didn't take a jacket to work with me, thinking it would warm up, but it actually got colder as the day went on.

A buddy invited me out after work, but I didn't feel like going. Plus, I started feeling a bit yucky again today at work. I finish round two of the antibiotics tomorrow. I'm hoping it's just allergies. They start in at this time of year.

They called me about the mower today. According to the mechanic, I have a severely bent crank shaft that would take $300 to repair. I don't believe it. If the problem was the crank shaft, I don't think it would run at all, not just start up and then stop over and over. That doesn't make any sense. Dad said he knew two guys that did small engine repair. I guess I have to decide whether I want to take it somewhere else or not now.

I went by the store to pick up a couple of things I forgot, and to see if they had anything I felt like eating for dinner. They didn't, even though I went to Publix. My rule of thumb is that if I can't make up my mind what I want to eat, I go home. So I did, even though I really didn't feel like cooking. All I really felt like doing was going to bed.

I made myself a veggie burger, cleaned up, and hit the sack.

There is a new program on Discovery Channel called "Cocaine Nation". I watched a bit of it, but it was pretty silly. They follow law enforcement busting street dealers "attacking the problem from the ground up". Those street dealers are as disposable as tissues to the cartel that employs them. They can be replaced the next day. The voice-over at the Mexican border said that law enforcement stops about 2% of the cocaine that comes over the border - 2%!! Now I'm not a cocaine advocate or user, but at some point you just have to get some perspective. This is a modern-day Prohibition. There is no "war on drugs" - the crooks have won. They have more money, they have endless employees in the poor and downtrodden (increasingly more of them now), and they have an insatiable clientele. The United States buys more cocaine than any other country. It's time to legalize it, tax the hell out of it, put warnings all over it, and call it a day.

No comments: