Saturday, October 11, 2008

A lovely unplanned Saturday**

I stayed up WAY too late last night reading when I got home. I turned in about 2am. Of course I still woke up at 6:30am on the dot this morning dammit.

I decided not to go to the flea market because there was nothing over there I really needed today, and I didn't need to waste money. Plus I was too lazy. I had a little adventure downtown, and ran through the Goodwill on the way back, running into Eddie Crane. He was bemoaning working downtown during "Fall for Greenville", the annual food fair they have downtown every year once it is cool enough not to get heat prostration. It used to be fun, but I haven't been in years. It's basically an exercise in socially acceptable and expensive gluttony, neither of which I need to be involved in at the mo.

Plus, I've been boycotting things they block all the streets off for just on general principals lately. I thought I was NEVER going to get home today. They had blocked off not just Main Street, but the streets for blocks and blocks around it. The bike race was going on today too, so they had to block off the whole bike route. I was pretty over it by the time I got home.

I ate some breakfast, and then laid down to read for a bit. I planned to finish my book today, but I really needed some sleep first. I fell back into my book though, and then wasn't sleepy.

Then Michael called and asked if I wanted to go run around with him today. I didn't get to see them last Sunday as we had planned, and they hadn't gotten with me about dinner this Friday because of a tough school schedule Joe has right now. Joe was going to be at the library today, so it was just the two of us. I was delighted to accept. I haven't been off just "bumping around", as he calls it, in years.

And sometimes pleasures are just all the sweeter for being unexpected. :)

We met Joe for lunch in Easley, and then went on a tour of the Goodwills and thrift stores in Pickens-Anderson-Clemson area. It was nice just to be out and around together, chewing the fat and shopping. I went by their house and got to see it. They have like 7 cats, all of whom were fascinated with me. We went through a big antique place in Easley that I hadn't been in in years. They had a great selection of stuff to look at, but the prices were pretty high.

On the final stop at the Dollar Store, we ended up near a Ross's Dress For Less; a store I dearly love, although I get in trouble there. Michael proceeded to remind me that rather than waste my money on antique glass I don't need, there are so many other things I can waste my money on. I found the cutest flannel sheets. They are ice blue and have little polar bears all over them wearing scarves and ski hats. My old flannel sheets are all pilled up, plus they have a hole in them, so I rationalized replacing them. These are Wamsutta, so I'm hoping they won't get all pilly. Plus they are just adorable. I got a couple of Yankee candles, one for the bathroom and one for Christmas. They are really expensive. The last Christmas one I bought I paid like $16 for - these were much more reasonable. I also bought a ceramic blue and white bird. It called out to me. It reminded me of a terra cotta one I got at Garcia's years and years ago, but I gave that one to my friend Allison.

Russ called while we were in Anderson. I had forgotten about being recruited to be part of the "distraction squad" that were going to Fall For Greenville today. Ben got roped into going with a guy who thought they were going on a date, and they had been trying to create a group atmosphere to diffuse that aura. Oops.

After all that, Michael dropped me back at my place about 7. I had told Russ and them that I might give them a call, but I was really tired. I ate a bit of supper, fooled around online for a bit, and was contemplating an early night after I finished my book when Bobby called.

He ended coming up from Easley. It was really good to see him. I lit some candles, and we ended up being up until about midnight. I was really bushed, but it was really worth it.

No comments: