Saturday, October 4, 2008

A full day, with mixed results

When I woke up this morning, I went on over to the office, just to get it over with. Still no power in my cube. I guess this move is going to be a clusterfuck in spite of all the company's worries about not disrupting work flow.

On the way back, I dropped off the knee-walker at Dick and Eve's, since it had been in my back seat for a week. I'll need the back seat clear for tomorrow, since we're taking my car to the mountains.

I went by Home Depot for paint. I have been meaning to paint my front door as soon as it cooled off a bit - it looks terrible. It needed painting when I moved in, and I've lived in the house for 11 years without doing it. I knew I wanted to door and the foundation to match when I painted it. I have a cinderblock foundation on the house that is very unattractive.

The paint girl was great. She was really nice, and cute. A little black girl with Cleopatara eye makeup, and a juicy badonkadonk butt wedged into a pair of black jeans with back sequinned back pockets. I just wanted to take her home with me. She even gave me a discount on my paint.

That done, the fun part was over, and I went home to start sanding and painting. I put a coat on the door first so it would have maxium dry time. Then I started in on the foundation.

It went faster than I thought it would, despite the fact that my roller broke and I had to go across the street to beg one from the neighbors. Thankfully, they obliged, since I couldn't even close up the house to go to the store.

When I got done, however, I saw that I made a serious mistake in choosing colors. The deep wine-y plum color I wanted turned out Barney purple. It's pretty heinous. I'm hoping maybe it will cure darker. Or that I'll get used to it. Or some miracle will happen that will keep me from having to paint it all again. Dammit.

I'm also afraid that the paint will come off the front door. It probably has lead based enamel or something that needed to be primed, and I didn't prime it. If the paint comes off, or starts to, I'll probably just strip the door and finish it back. It is a nice old solid wooden door. It is probably pretty under all that paint.

Russ and Billy were free tonight, so we went out to El Matador for more Mexican - yay! After painting all day I was ravenous, and we dug into decadently huge platters of nachos - washed down with a couple of margaritas. I couldn't finish mine. They were heavily laden with jalapenos, though, and eventually, we had to start picking them out. I was already regretting the pablanos I had last night.

We went back to Russ and Billy's house after supper and watched the first episode of the HBO series "True Blood", which is based on the Charlaine Harris "Dead Before Dark" series of books that I liked so much. They have done a really great job with the series. Most of the casting is spot-on, and the guys are hot. They also frequently find ways for them to run around half naked. It's a sexy show.

I left around midnight, so I could get home and get some sleep. We're leaving at 10 for the mountains in the morning. Plus we were all beat. Russ and Billy had worked on his new shop all day, trying to get it ready, and I was tired from the painting.

I was very relieved to find when I got home that the paint had not vapor-locked and pulled off the door from it's being shut this evening. I was worried about that.

No comments: