Saturday, October 25, 2008

A lazy day, an unexpected meeting, a nice party*

The pumpkin carving party. I'm in the middle. My Jack-O-Lantern is next to the dog's butt.


Needless to say, I was pretty worthless today after being out so late last night. It was overcast and ugly this morning, plus it was way too wet from last night to think about painting. I went over to the White Horse road flea market about 9:30, but there was hardly anyone there, and then it started raining on top of that. I didn't even buy produce.

I came home, ate something, cleaned up the kitchen, and decided to lie back down for a while. I ended up sleeping until about 1:30, when Billy called to see if I wanted him to pick me up a pumpkin. I asked him to please do so. They were invited to a pumpkin carving party tonight, and told me I could go too. At that point I decided to stir myself, but just went online and started messing around there. I ended up talking to a nice guy named Jeremiah. He's awfully cute. He kind of reminds me of that little chick that Foghorn Leghorn used to try to teach to play baseball and stuff in the old cartoons. He ended up coming over to hang out for a while this afternoon.

He's young - 26. And he likes NASCAR, which I can't bear. He also apparently has a vegetable phobia. But he said I'm pretty much his perfect physical type, and he likes older guys. Buit he's drinking the gay guy monogamy Kool-ade, and he has made disparging remarks about meeting guys who are "freaks" that does not bode well for telling him about LOCK. But I'm kind of at the stage now that I'm tired of vetting everyone for husband material before I even go out with them. He's a nice guy. He seems into me. And nothing says that we have to get married. If he wants to hang out for a while I think I'd like that. So we'll see what happens. But we're going to have to come up with a creative nickname. Jeremiah is just too many syllables for me to be keeping track of. I have a strict two syllable name thing on intimates.

***

The party was great. I was a bit put off when I got there. There were kids there, and everyone seemed way into this pumpkin carving thing. Frankly, it seemed a bit wholesome for me. But as it got later, and the pumpkins got finished, people started talking and drinking more, the kids left, and it seemed like more my kind of thing. The house was in a bit of a suburban environment for me, but the decorations and things were really cool. They have been having this party for 6 years, and apparently have it down to a science, completed with special pumpkin saws, outdoor lighting, plastic tables to carve on, pattern books to make fancy pumpkins with, and a "staging area" to display the completed pumpkins. Russ and Billy chose fairly elaborate designs, but frankly, I go to a party to party, and I'm kind of old school about jack-o-lanterns anyway. I like the face ones. So I just did a fairly simple face one, and was done with it. Russ worked on his for several hours, but it paid off - he won the grand prize for best pumpkin. Sadly, he benefitted from Billy's mistake. I watched him working on his pattern and advised Russ on how to make a better start. But Billy's turned out good too, really - it just wasn't as detailed as the pattern.

There were a lot of lesbians there, which I like. I love hanging with the women.

The guys that gave it are Tom and David. David is a photographer, so there were lots of photographers there - this was a well documented event. One guy really never said anything. He just made pictures the whole evening. Tom is a talented chef, so the center of the party was an amazing buffet. The food was beautiful, delicious, and very rich. He had taken cookie cutters, cut out tortillas, and toasted them to make Halloween-shaped chips for the dips. I was impressed, because that is the kind of thing I just can't stand to do. I just don't have the patience. He made one of the best spinach/artichoke dips I have ever tasted, although in all fairness, I haven't met a spinach/artichoke dip I didn't like.

We didn't stay really late though. Although it turned out to be a beautiful afternoon, it turned off cold fairly early. Plus Billy and I both ate too much rich food. Plus we had all been up so late the night before. It was just a good night to turn in early. I hate that I didn't get any pictures of the pumpkins and the carving, but I had forgotten my phone.

No comments: