Thursday, October 16, 2008

A long, long day

Well true to form, since I could sleep later this morning, I was up with insomnia. From 2:30 to about 4:30am. As usual, when I got back to sleep I had Kafka dreams. In this one, I was a female fugitive, for some reason lost at a carnival. My guy was looking for me, and randomly biting people to test to see if they were me. It made sense in the dream.

When I woke up, I made coffee and had a cigarette to get me jump-started.

Work was fairly boring, but that's better than something going wrong.

My old friend Ty Richie was on my mind when I woke up with insomnia last night, so I wrote out a three page letter to him, just kind of catching him up on what's been going on, and telling him I want him back in my life. It always hurt me the way he moved away and just kind of dropped me, but I think I understand better now why he did it. I've only seen him a couple of time since. I miss him, and want to go down to Atlanta to visit. I hope I hear back from him. The last time I tried to contact him was after an ex of his here in town died, and I didn't hear back from him until I got a Chirstmas card in 2006. Strangely, he didn't include a phone number or email address. I didn't send any cards last year so he didn't hear from me. I had put the card aside, thinking I would write back, but haven't until now.

I did the Fred Flintstone out the door at 5:30 since I had an appt to get my hair cut. I got to the shop and had a bit of time to read on the latest piece of trash pot-boiler I'm reading. I'm about to reach the heart-stopping conclusion. So tripe-y though. I'm really hoping they are through the sex stuff. Here's an actual quote:


"He kissed his way down her center, leaning into(sic) her until she was lying on her back. He nipped her tummy with his teeth and nuzzled her mound. He stroked her thighs, gradually separating them.

Then his mouth was intimate with her.

Kendall gave herself over to the breaktaking sensations. Without shame or modesty she allowed them to undulate up through her belly and breasts. Delicately his tongue probed and flicked and stroked and laved until she shattered like a fine piece of crystal."


That's a direct quote, folks, I can't make shit like that up. Needless to say I was laughing out loud. I really thought about adding italics for emphasis, but the whole passage is such a tribute to schmaltz, that I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I won't even include the part where Kendall, a good girl who fell in with bad company, is post-coitally begging the Federal Agent she escaped with (and who conveniently, of course, was in a car accident and had amnesia long enough to fall madly in love with her) to remember her and their time together before she is forced to make a run for it for the sake of her child.

I'm obviously killing any brain cells previously stimulated by my work on House of Leaves. I'm honestly just reading it for the hoot factor at this point. I was enamored of her big-busted red-haired and lusty best friend named Ricki Sue (I swear, that is the name the author gave her), a woman who frankly, seldom met a penis she didn't like. But alas, Ricki Sue was just killed by evil inbred mountain twins who are also chasing poor Kendall for revenge for the alleged mis-handling of their brother's trial (she was a public defender before she went on the lam), but not before she had sexually exhausted both of them. Ricki-Sue obviously was made of more hardy stuff than fine crystal. Had she been real, I'd like to have shaken her hand. And yes, I generally hate books written about the South by people who have obviously never set hoof here, but two caveats: 1) I didn't know that when I picked up the book; and 2) I only picked it up because I had finished the book I had on my lunch hour, and it was either find something off the communal shelves in the cafeteria or go back to work early.

(The book, for those of you who either a) have a great appreciation for bad writing; b) feel the need to lower your IQ to that of the average Sarah Palin supporter; or c) just have no taste at all, is The Witness by Sandra Brown.)

Also, while I was waiting, Michael called. Joe was working, and he asked me to dinner. He came by the shop while I was getting my hair cut.

Russ is moving the shop next week, so while I was there, I decided to go ahead and cram the display case he's giving me into the car. Because Michael was there, he got roped into helping me carry it. First, I took out the glass shelves and asked him to carry those. As I started carrying the cabinet, one of the glass sides popped out, scaring us all to death. Mercifully, it didn't break. I got it part of the way out after that, and then Michael was like "Why don't you let me help you carry that and come back for the glass?" Which made sense. He grabbed the top, and I got the bottom, and three steps later, it came apart in the middle, both pieces falling, and more glass falling out of it, although mercifully, again, not breaking. So that was two heart attacks, and we were barely out of the shop. We laughingly picked up the pieces and took them to the car, where they were much easier to load. I think I can get them back together.

We went out for Mexican, which was good since I was craving nachos as usual.

I got home about 9, got all the pieces in, and was exhausted. As I started to get ready for bed though, I remembered that I was totally out of cat food. I was supposed to get some tonight and forgot. So I had to go back out to the store. Sigh. They just had to settle for Purina Cat Chow tonight.

No comments: