Sunday, October 12, 2008

Getting some stuff done

"Columbia" 6" cake plate/saucer in crystal by Federal Glass Company, circa 1938-1942


Since I played all day yesterday, I really needed to do some chores today.

I went to the flea market for produce. I found a little Columbia saucer to go with my set that matches my cake plate. The lady who sold it to me was so nice it was a pleasure to buy it from her, and tell her a little bit about it. The little plate had apparently belonged to her grandmother, and she'd found it in a box under her house, wrapped in paper towels. I could tell she was pleased that it was going to someone who would treasure it.

I got all my produce and then got home and started cooking. Today I made Greek potatoes. I was trying to copy a recipe from one of my favorite Greek places here in town, called The Olympian - their Greek potatoes ROCK. These were pretty good, but not as good as theirs. I'm going to have to keep trying.

I cleaned up the kitchen, did a bit of laundry, and was laying down to read and have a nap when Russ called. They had such a good time at Fall for Greenville this weekend they were going back today. Plus the weather outside is just gorgeous, and Billy thought it would be a shame to be cooped up indoors, which it would have been.

I ate some lunch, got cleaned up, and headed over there. Lori came too, which was good. It had been way too long since I had seen her. dana was going to come, but ended up staying home to finish painting the bathroom. Miss Kat is out of town, and she wanted the house to be nice when she got home.

We strolled downtown, eating and talking, and looking at all the purty men. It was fun. We ran into some of the bear guys we know, and talked to them for a bit. By the time we left, I was full and tired. We headed on back to Russ and Billy's house, and relaxed on the porch for a bit.

Then I got a bit of a shock. Of course the election was being discussed, and Lori said that even though she believed more of what Barak Obama stood for, she was voting for McCain because she just couldn't vote for a black man. "It's just the way I was raised." she said. It upset me very badly. First, that someone I know would be so overtly racist. Second, that she would do something as important as VOTE based on something that she herself seemed to understand was not really a good reason. Third, because "that's the way I was raised" is such a fucking cop-out! She is a grown woman. I believe when you become an adult, you transcend your upbringing and you decide what kind of person you are going to be. I'm quite sure she wasn't raised to be a masochist/submissive either, but she seems to manage to wrap her head around that with no problem.

Of course I didn't say any of this. Lori is my friend, and I love her. I don't think it would have done any good. She seems to have made up her mind. My feelings now are conflicted. I previously adored Lori. I kind of like I bit into a big gorgeous peach and found it had a big rotten place in the middle.

It's not that she is voting for McCain. I know many people who will be. Indeed, living in SC, I know he will most assuredly win the state. I never tell anyone how to vote, although if we are discussing politics, I will share my opinions about the issues. I very much believe you should vote your convictions on the issues, whether you believe the same thing I do or not. And I really wish everyone would vote. It just kind of makes me sick when I hear a reason like that. I think a voter card should be like a driver's license. You have a responsibility to vote responsibly and know the issues if you're going to do it. I can't imagine taking that right for granted - a right that many people around the world are dying to secure. A right that many of our own countrymen died to secure for us. I find it appalling that so many uninformed people go to the polls and blindly vote for a party or on the basis of some half-baked political ad innuendo. But then I guess there has to be some explanation for eight years of W. I'm getting down off the soapbox now.

We ended up watching some more episodes of "True Blood". The series started off good, but I'm getting kind of impatient with it. The last couple of episodes were pretty stupid, with a large part of them dealing with Sookie's brothers expolration of "V" - none of which happened in the book, and which succeeded in adding lots of gratuitous sex and half nudity to the show. So on the one hand, the guy that plays the brother is hot, and I enjoy seeing him half-naked. On the other hand, they have taken considerable license with the story and his character, and it's kind of pissing me off. I can't help but wonder what Charlaine Harris thinks about all this.

It was good to see Russ and Billy, as always. We watched a new episode of BBC's "Little Britain" that they are doing for US distribution now. That show just gets funnier. I LOVE it. Then I said good night. It was a lovely afternoon and evening, for the most part.

No comments: