Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Sloth, Gluttony, and other vices


Well I decided to go out for nasty ole Chinese Buffet to celebrate Chinese New Year; and because I just wanted some nasty ole Chinese Buffet and this was as good a rationalization as any. But I was pretty disappointed. The place we usually go wasn’t nearly as good as it normally is. Everything was dried out and had obviously been on the bar for some time, plus they had stuff in the wrong bins, so stuff was in the wrong place. I ended up putting some chicken on my plate, which pissed me off. I ate it. I usually eat mistakes, unless I’m feeling really pissy that day. My rationale is that the only thing worse than an animal living in misery and dying so I can eat is for that same animal to end up in the garbage. It really pissed me off though, because I had resisted temptation for something I really wanted earlier in the day.

We had a free food day at work, and they had chicken wings. I LOVE chicken wings. When I fall off the wagon, that is usually what I fall off for. I have been pescetarian (someone who eats fish, but no cow, chicken, pig, or other critters) for 9 ½ years now. When I started, I said that I wasn’t going to deny myself a bit of meat every now and then if I want it, but when I eat it now, I feel like a hypocrite, so I usually don’t do it unless it’s in private. It’s like a secret vice. Plus I just really hate facing those chicken trucks on the highway after I’ve eaten chicken that week. So I ate potato salad and green salad for lunch, and rewarded myself with a cookie. It really pissed me off that I denied myself the wings I wanted, and then ended up eating dried-out Chinese chicken lumps later.

After that, I was supposed to go home and haul off the recycling, but I didn’t do it. I was SO tired, and I know I have a really rough day tomorrow. So I did a load of laundry, and went to bed early. I haven’t slept through the night for the last week and a half, and I’m feeling it.

No comments: