Saturday, February 16, 2008

Saturday shopping with Mom

Lisa and baby Ava. This pic is from the christening last month.

Woke up this morning slightly hung over from sleeping pills (that machine is still running me crazy) and took Cole out to the local Starbucks for coffee, which he loves. After that, we made waffles and played with Baby Ava until Lisa and Carl (her hubbie, and Ava's father) got there. We opened our Christmas gifts, and Lisa was really tickled with hers, I think. She collects black cameos, and I got her a mother and child black cameo set in white gold. I thought maybe some day she could pass it down to Ava. Lisa got me a copy of "The Moosewood Cookbook" that I loved of Michael's. Unfortunately, one of the recipes I really liked has been changed enough that it is barely recognizable. I called Michael last night, to get him to send me a copy of the orginal recipe. But I was really happy to get the book, and I have never gotten a bad recipe from Moosewood. If the new ones are re-written to be more healthy, so much the better.

Ava is an incredibly happy baby. She hardly cried at all the whole 24 hours we had her. She is a beautiful baby too, with big blue eyes, but then of course I am just slightly biased. I think her eyes are going to stay blue. Lisa wanted Cole's to stay blue, but both she and his father have dark eyes, and Cole does too. But Ava's father has ice blue eyes, which I think that lucky girl inherited. She is an active and playful baby, frequently grinning and laughing, except when a camera is aimed at her, of course.

After they left, Mom and I went out shopping. There is a great and huge antique store near her house, and I had been wanting to go. Once again, my prejudice about antique mall pricing was proven false. There were several deals to be found. There was also one really great Depression Glass booth, but they had everything priced pretty high. They had the only "Adam" candy dish I have seen in real life, and it was complete with a lid, but it was too expensive for me. Sigh.

Still I found three cups for my set, at $3 each! There was a fourth, but it had a small chip, so I didn't by it. I probably would have (the chip was tiny), but I already have all my cups. I was just buying these because they were so cheap! The cups are priced in my old book at $7.50. I also found 5 berry bowls priced at $4 each, and they are old book priced at $12. I bought all of them, even though I already have all my berry bowls, because the price was so good. I have a dilemma about those though. I went with #2 berry bowls, since they are shaped similar to the sherberts, and I loved the #2 sherberts. But I am using #1 plates, and I like the similar edge on the #1 berry bowls. Can't decide if I should switch or not, but I have 11 #2 berry bowls now.

We went by Radio Shack, and got an adapter for Mom's old TV. She got a DVD/VCR from my sister for Christmas, and it still wasn't hooked up. That was my project for this trip. Fortunately, they had an adapter that made it work, and I was all proud of myself that I was able to get it all working.

We went for dinner at this Greek/Italian place that she knows about, and the food was fantastic. It was a really great meal. I also had a glass of excellent Pinot Grigio - the real stuff - not that Chardonnay wannabe that so many restaurants are passing off these days. Lovely.

Reese's, in an effort to keep me the size of Mama Cass, has now come out with a KING SIZE peanut butter egg which has TWICE the peanut butter in it. OMG, they are so good you could go sterile. But 340 calories each!! And 21 grams of fat, 7 of them saturated. Good thing they won't be making those year round.

No comments: