Sunday, February 10, 2008

I face a moral dilemma, and come out of it pretty well, all the way around

The set of old gas lamps - these have been in my family for years. I have no idea what they are.

The glass just keeps rolling in. I can scarcely believe it. This is turning out to be one of the best collecting months I have ever had. Went on over to the flea market today to look around, as usual. Saw a Glasbake bundt pan, but let it be. I really don't want to start collecting that too. Plus it had a couple of bubbles in it, and wasn't etched. I also saw a clear bubble glass plate, but I have bought too much crystal lately. I love the blue though.

Then I saw it. I have a set of old gas lamps that were converted to electricity that have been passed down in our family. I have heard that they are worth money, but would never part with them. A woman there had one that matched my set. The reason this was exciting is that my sister Cindy wanted one of the set, but I wouldn't break the set, so she let me have both of them. This was in the wake of some bad blood between us, because I was promised a set of my grandmother's china, but she took it, and refused to let it go. So I thought I could buy this one, use it with one of the set, and let her have one of the family lamps. This was the problem. The woman wanted $20 for it, and she also had a lovely monax "American Sweetheart" chop plate that I wanted for $15. I had $24 in my pocket.

After asking about the chop plate, I told the woman she was really testing me. As I resignedly peeled off a twenty to pay for the lamp, I explained about the family story, and about how I collect Depression Glass. I told her although I loved the plate, I thought $20 was pretty cheap to help patch up some bad blood. I promise, hand to God, I was not telling her this to try to work a deal. I told her because I thought she might find the story of the lamp interesting.

She was a really sweet woman though, and sold me the chop plate for $9 (it is valued at $15 in my old book), and the lamp for $15. I was really surprised, and felt a little guilty, but I don't know how much she had in them, so I am hoping she still made money. If I had been trying to work a deal, I would have felt bad, but since I hadn't been pulling anything, I gave her all my money, thanked her profusely, and left feeling pretty damn good.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great ending! Don't feel guilty, I think the lady was just kind.. don't think she would have sold to you at a loss. I look forward to hear of your sisters reaction to receiving one of the family lamps. You're a much bigger person than I am.. what a great olive branch!

Collecting is so much fun.. I started to collect Illy espresso cups.. got to a couple of down and saw that the prices were going up.. wish I could find collectors pieces in the manner you do!

BTW, the FireKing pie dish is awesome! What a great piece! I hope you use it.. mmm, pie!

thefabulousmrthing said...

Xander, as usual, you are just too good to me. I'll be sure to blog about it when I send the lamp. I'll probably send it down with my Mom, since Cindy lives in Charleston, and we haven't really been that close for a while.

And I did use my pie dish Saturday night - I made brownies in it! I wondered how long it had been since that nice old dish had any batter in it. Kind of made me happy.

thefabulousmrthing said...

Oh, and this late run of luck is MOST unusual. I can go for weeks and find nothing. Part of it may be that Justin has me going through my stuff and my books, so I'm sharpening my eye.

JLo said...

Even if she did sell it to you at a loss, I'm sure she got a great story out of it and felt good for helping you out.

And what's a little profit when you feel good?