Saturday, February 2, 2008


But my fun weekend wasn’t over. When I got home, I called Russ and Billy to see what they were up to, and they were getting ready for dinner. So with barely time to get my shawl tied, I dashed out the door to meet them at Saffron, a great Indian place. I love Indian food. The food was, as usual, absolutely delicious, although Russ didn’t care for the Kheer he ordered for dessert. I don’t think it was sweet enough for him. It was pretty damn funny watching him eat it, I have to say.

They were going to see Cloverfield, which I care nothing about seeing. I don’t see a lot of movies in the theater, but I love to read movie reviews for some weird reason. So if there’s something playing, I usually know the tomato-meter (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/) reading on it. It ended up that dinner took too long though, and they were going to be too late to go. So we went over to Barnes and Noble so Russ could get some coffee. He is a major Starbucks addict. Plus Justin told me that the clearance books were marked down to $1 this weekend. I never found the $1 books, but Russ said there wasn’t anything there worth having, and if he couldn’t find something he wanted, I know there was nothing there for me.

I spent my time there in the collectables section, predictably. Since I’m reading mainstream fiction at the moment (usually if I want to read gay or lesbian fiction, I have to either buy it or borrow it from Russ) I’m getting my books from the library at the mo, which is certainly easier on the wallet. I looked up some pieces I have in the new 2008 books to see what the values were like. The pride of my collection, a blue scalloped Mayfair fruit bowl in perfect condition, is now listed at $160. I paid about $38 for it, so I was pretty tickled about that. I really need a new book. The one I have is from 1998. In addition to looking like hell after being drug through flea markets and antique stores (and usually being in the trunk of my car) for 10 years, all the pricing is out of date. The closer the glass gets to official “antique” status (100 years old), the faster it seems to appreciate; or at least that is the case with some pieces.

From there it was on to Russ and Billy’s house, one of my happiest places. Russ wasn’t up to Wii last night, so Billy and I got to play Bunny Bump (yay!), and I held my own last night, unlike the last time I played. I actually beat Billy several games – and that is just unheard of.

The night ended fairly early, for us. Russ had taken a motion-sickness pill in preparation for the camera work for Cloverfield, and it pretty much knocked him out. Plus we’re going to the White Horse Road flea market in the morning. Miss Kat called while we were at dinner. I haven’t seen her in a couple of weeks, and I’m meeting them out there in the morning. I am quite sure I have used up all my glass luck for several months, at least. But it’s always fun to go, always good to see them, and I need some produce anyway.

No comments: