Sunday, February 3, 2008

I watched my one football game for the year

Jeff Feagles - I just have to love this man


I watched the Super Bowl at D’relda’s house tonight. What a great time! That fourth quarter was phenomenal! That is the reason you watch the game, for moments like that. When the Giants made that last touchdown, I went hoarse. I could barely say goodnight to people.

One of the reasons I was rooting for the Giants was because of the quote by Jeff Feagles. He is 41, has played more consecutive games (320) than anyone in NFL history, and this will be his first time playing (and he will be the oldest player ever to play in) the Super Bowl. In a press conference he said “I’m as giddy as a rookie.” How can you not love a guy like that? A football player who uses the word giddy? For that matter a football player who can get through 320 NFL games and still have that much command of his vocabulary left (granted, he's a kicker, and not on the field all the time, but still..). In an associated press interview, he said "Normally after this many years I don't get too many butterflies. I know on Sunday I'll have them. But those are the butterflies I have been waiting for for a long, long time." He kicked four goals during the game - every kick he made was good. It makes me feel all warm inside that he got to play, and got to win. I am so glad this guy is going to have his Super Bowl ring when he retires. And I hope he had those long-awaited butterflies.

I also just love to root for the underdog, and the Giants weren’t supposed to win, which just made it all the sweeter. Especially since my jinx factor didn’t seem to come in to play. Usually the team I root for invariably loses.

I took some queso dip that I had in the freezer – I had forgotten how hot it was! But it was good, and I got many compliments on it. Donnie had really come through for me, and had some vegetarian pizzas, which were delicious; so I had plenty to eat. And eat I did. So much for eating diet dinners all week last week. I pretty much blew it all to hell after eating out three times, and then eating Super Bowl food this weekend. But then the game is only once a year.

I took some of the Spanish white I bought, the Albarino, but it wasn’t as good as I remembered. Donnie had me try a new Chardonnay he was pushing, and it may have messed up my palate. It was really good for a Chardonnay though. I usually avoid them because they are so woody, and I don’t like woody wine. But this was pretty tasty, and I didn’t feel like I had licked a board. Drinking wine at the Bowl was a bit weird though. I wished I had gotten some beer. That is a lesson I have learned.

Since I trained to work in advertising, the ads are always of special interest to me as well. The best ad, hands down, to me was the Planter’s Cashews “Unibrow” ad:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1899026

That one was good enough that we TiVo’d back to watch it again. There were some others that were good, the Doritos “Mouse” ad was really good, as was the “Shaq Jockey” ad for Glaceau Vitamin Water, but to be honest the product placement in that ad was so weak that I had to look up what they were advertising before writing this.

Kimbley and Laura were there, Rick and James, and this girl I won’t name kind of hit on me as I was getting ready to leave, which was kind of novel. But Lacey and Chris weren’t there, unfortunately. They were doing their own party apparently.

Still, it was a lovely time, my team won, and I headed for home with a happy glow.

No comments: