Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day & TG it's almost over

Forgive the pictoral allegory for the state of my lovelife.


According to CNN today, 8 million Americans have sent gifts to themselves on VD. That makes me so sad. What does this say? That appearance is more important than substance to many? Do they pretend that they have someone? I have to say, at least I have never thought of doing that. If I don’t get any flowers, then I don’t get any. Pretending to get some would just seem too pitiful to me. Although I have to get cat food tonight, and I did wonder about where that puts me on the "loser" scale - buying cat food on Valentine's Day? If I saw it in a movie, I would think that was pretty heavy-handed symbolism. I guess sometimes life does imitate even bad art.

Overall, it hasn’t been that bad of a day. Judi was tickled to get her candy, and Mom was really happy about her flowers. They were delivered early, as I was told they would be, and they were apparently what I ordered.

Work has gone fast today. I spent hours going over returns dating back to 2005 for a lawsuit we have going right now. A complete waste of time, of course, but it had to be done, to disprove the wild claims the ex-client has made to the court.

After that, I had a conference call, and then lunch. So I haven’t had much time to brood about this most hated of days.

But as much as I hate the way it makes me feel lonely to be by myself today, I really like the thought of people taking the time out to say “I love you.” Most people don’t do it enough. I know there is an aspect of materialism involved, and some people see it as a way to make a commodity of something that shouldn’t be commercialized; but people are pretty wasteful anyway, and usually not in a cause that can even remotely be construed as worthy. As for the rest of us, the lonely, well, it’s almost over. Last night at CVS, they already had Easter Candy everywhere.

I got a couple of Reece’s Peanut Butter Eggs as a treat for tonight. They are the BEST candy EVER, except for maybe the Christmas Trees. I love all those points. The novelty Reece’s are so much better than the regular cups, because there is tons of peanut butter in them. I could eat just that peanut butter as a dessert I think.

I chatted with an old friend on line today, and it was good to talk to him. It’s been a long time since we got together, but I’m glad he’s still hanging in there.

***

I'm also hopefully getting together a little surprise for BB. A friend of mine, Todd, used to cut her hair, and she loves him. She wasn't able to go to him any more after she stopped being able to drive. I told her I would take her over there, but of course she never called me. She asks me about him every time I see him. Anyway, I talked to him today about going over there to cut her hair. She would be tickled, I know; as much for seeing him as for the haircut. I hope it works out. I think it would mean a lot to her. I of course told Todd I would pay him whatever he wants to do it. I hope he'll take something from me. I'm afraid he is going to try to do it for free, and I don't think that would be right. This is a big favor. He's a busy and talented hairdresser, and would have to go on his day off, when he is usually caring for his mother who had a stroke.

Todd and BB fell in love before Lisa's wedding. All the grandmothers went to see Todd to have their hair done beforehand. BB walked up to Todd and said "Don't you make me look like an old lady! I want to look like a bitch." He complied. And she fell in love with him immediately. That was back when he first went out on his own, and was sharing a salon with a manicurist who worked part time as an Elvis impersonator. Only in the South. It's true folks, I can't make shit like that up.

No comments: