Sunday, February 17, 2008

More shopping, and then home*

Queen Mary or "Vertical Ribbed" candle holder by Hocking Glass company, circa 1936-1949

Mom and I got up ready for the flea market on Sunday morning. Unfortunately, it was overcast and windy, and the flea market wasn't really ready for us. There just wasn't that much going on. Still we had a look around, and I found a Queen Mary candlestick on a junk table for 50 cents! That was the deal of the day. It was filthy and crusted with cheap red candle wax, but fortunately, all that crap had acted as a protective layer, and it came clean in perfect condition. I did break my first rule of glass collecting (Thou shalt not buy dirty glass), but for 50 cents I was willing to take the chance. These are old book priced at $14.50 each.

Justin doesn't like those candle holders. He says they look like cacti, which I guess they kind of do, LOL. They aren't the most graceful of pieces. But I think they are kind of neat, and I love rescuing things that aren't being valued.

After that though, it was downhill all the way. We got cold and left to have breakfast at Lizard's Thicket, which is pretty good food, and great coffee.

After breakfast, I left and came home. I haven't slept well on the machine, and wanted to catch up on some sleep, but that beautiful plan didn't work out, and I just ended up being lazy and worthless all afternoon.

1 comment:

JLo said...

Hell, I'd pay $.50 for that little cactus. It's totally worth that to me.